Re: Military Aircraft Patrolling skies?

It really could have been anything that you heard. It may have been
military, or a business jet. Many older bizjets, especially older Lears
(and older non-re-engined airliners - DC-9s, 727s etc), have a lot more
bass or "thunder" sound to their engines than newer airliners with
high-bypass turbofans which generally have more of a "whine/whoosh" noise.
I frequently hear older Lears flying cancelled checks out of PHL late at
night (midnight-2 am usually). Since many of the older airliners are used
by cargo airlines operating at night, this also may be what you heard.

Greg Rendell
greg20@xxxxxxxxxxxxx