Ottawa Says It's Time to Stop Protecting Air Canada

The Canadian government, in a radical shift, said on Friday it was time to stop
protecting national carrier Air Canada as it considers whether to lift foreign
ownership restrictions on the country's airlines.

"For nearly a quarter of a century, the federal government's air policies have
been built on protecting what we have, rather than building something better,
protecting against loss of service, against the loss of our national flag
carrier," Transport Minister Jean Lapierre said in a speech.

"The time for this approach is over. Now is the time to build an aggressive,
forward-looking, market-driven framework that will help the industry compete
regionally and globally."

Lapierre seemed to keep nothing off the table, including a requirement for
domestic airlines to be Canadian owned and controlled, extending trans-border
services to third countries and allowing airlines to compete fully on price in
these markets.

"Is it time for us to relax the ownership restrictions? What about control? Is
it time we allowed foreign carriers to provide services between points in
Canada? If so, under what conditions?" he asked.

"What about cabotage, that is, allowing US carriers to fly Canadians between
points in Canada, and vice versa? Or should we try to go even further and
integrate our air markets under a single set of rules?"

Lapierre rebuffed suggestions that liberalizing the skies would threaten
already badly served regions, saying competition with Air Canada has already
decreased prices.

"It's not by having less competition that we are going to help our economy,"
Lapierre told reporters after the speech.

In recent years, domestic-based carriers like WestJet, CanJet and Jetsgo have
ramped up services.

Air Canada, which has just emerged from bankruptcy, said it had long favored
raising foreign ownership limits in order to give it more access to capital,
and it welcomed measures to liberalize the market as long as they were
reciprocal.

"We were surprised to see a characterization that suggests policies were
designed to protect Air Canada, since the company has long advocated for
greater liberalization on a reciprocal basis and would indeed welcome the
minister going further on the basis of reciprocity," spokeswoman Laura Cooke
said.

Lapierre will ask a special parliamentary committee next week to review the
critical transportation policies and said a report could come as early as next
spring.

At the same time, he defended the government's decision to approve a CAD$1.5
billion loan guarantee for Air Canada's order from Bombardier, saying
guaranteed loans aren't given to Bombardier; they're given to clients.

"I think this program will open doors to new carriers who might have had
financial difficulties," he said.

"I'm very excited by the idea that Canadian carriers that would buy Canadian
planes would have access to financing, which could give birth to new regional
carriers that will serve those regions."

Prime Minister Paul Martin's government has been more oriented to the free
market than that of fellow Liberal Jean Chretien, whom he replaced in December.

Under Chretien, Transport Minister David Collenette had occasionally speculated
about taking some liberalizing moves.

He had always said he would do so only if Washington did the same, though he
never strongly pushed the ideas in Canada or the United States.

(Reuters)