Trying to catch ATA before CH.11 ??

Car crashes runway gate at airport

Associated Press
October 26, 2004

A woman drove her car through a gate and onto the runway of Indianapolis International Airport today, apparently after becoming ill, an airport spokesman said.

"Everyone who's been dealing with this believes there's probably some medical condition, but we can't confirm that at this time," airport spokesman Dennis Rosebrough said.

The woman, who was not immediately identified, was taken to a hospital.

No one else was injured, Rosebrough said. Airport personnel stopped the vehicle on a taxiway, and the airport did not interrupt operations.

"Our police were able to stop her and we were able to have the incident come to a peaceful end without any damage, no injury to anyone," Rosebrough said.

A witness said the car was going 40 mph to 50 mph when it smashed through the gate and onto a runway.

Sanitation truck driver Jason Archer said he noticed the woman after following her off an expressway and seeing her drive through a stop sign.

"She rammed the gate and just kept going," Archer said. "She drove around the runway right there, out there toward the airplane."

Roger
EWROPS