flying southwest airlines first time ( in November )what can I expect?

In November I will be flying southwest airlines for the first time
what can I expect? (from LAX TO SMF)

 I know I can printed my boarding and security documents online on the day of the flight
can I ask for a window seat?  an friend recently told she flew
but told me its still everyone for themselves..