After Long Hiatus, Iraqi Airways Back In Skies

Washington Post
October 3, 2004
Pg. 29

Airline Begins Operating International Flights for the
First Time in 14 Years

By Jackie Spinner, Washington Post Staff Writer

CLIMBING TO 21,600 FEET OVER IRAQ -- The Boeing 737
banked sharply to the left as it roared into the sky
from Baghdad International Airport. The pilot, Adel
Aldoori, cupped his hand to block the sun and scanned
the ground from the tiny cockpit window.

The Iraqi Airways jet was ascending in ear-popping,
stomach-churning, circular swirls to evade any missile
attacks from the ground. Four weeks earlier, a
surface-to-air missile barely missed a Royal Jordanian
plane as it took off from Baghdad.

"Of course it makes me nervous, and there is
discomfort for the passengers," Aldoori said, white
tissue tucked into the back of his shirt collar to
catch the sweat. The sun blazed through the window as
the brown, dusty landscape dotted with man-made lakes,
military camps and former palace compounds receded.

"What scares me much more is the traffic, especially
the military," said 1st Officer Ghassan Alami, who
twisted in his seat to see what was behind, below and
to the side of the plane. "The military pilots, they
don't care. They'll come within two miles."

The plane, freshly painted in Iraqi Airways'
traditional white and green, was headed from Baghdad
to Amman, Jordan. The flight was one of the first
international runs operated by the national airline
since it began flying after a 14-year hiatus due to
war and sanctions.

The carrier also flies from Amman to Damascus. In an
interview in Amman on Monday, the Iraqi transportation
minister, Luay Eris, said the airliner is negotiating
to lease additional aircraft so it can expand its
routes.

Aldoori and Alami worked for Iraqi Airways before it
stopped flying internationally in 1990. They are now
technically employees of Teebah Airlines, a
Jordanian-based carrier that is owned by an Iraqi
family and leases the 737 and its crew to Iraqi
Airways. The plane, manufactured in 1983, used to
belong to US Airways. An orange sign in the cockpit
reads: "Liquor tax has been paid. US Airways."

Aldoori, a graying man with a tan, wrinkled face, said
he still feels a connection to Iraqi Airways.

"It was like a dream," Aldoori said, describing the
first Iraqi Airways flight Sept. 18 from Amman to
Baghdad. "Really, I can't describe it. It was
happiness for me and my colleagues. I feel like Iraqi
Airways is my company."

Aldoori lamented the lost years, when Iraqi Airways
was not flying.

"I joined Iraqi Airways in 1971," he said. "Before, we
were an actual airline. Now it's become difficult for
us. We're getting old. We lost a lot."

At the moment, Iraqi Airways has only two pilots --
both on loan from Teebah -- who are authorized to fly
737s. It will take time for the airline to train new
pilots.

Before Iraqi Airways resumed international service,
Royal Jordanian had a monopoly on commercial passenger
flights between Amman and Baghdad, a ride that lasts
about an hour and 20 minutes. A round-trip ticket on
Royal Jordanian costs about $1,100. Iraqi Airways is
offering the same trip for about $700.

The first flights had no passengers, in part, because
Iraqi Airways is not advertising its return to the
skies. The airline is virtually bankrupt, a position
it must retain to protect itself from a lawsuit filed
by the Kuwaiti government that alleges Iraqi Airways
stole planes and other equipment after Iraq invaded
Kuwait in 1990.

Last week, the evening flight had 62 passengers,
including more than a dozen stranded Royal Jordanian
passengers.

Saad Raheem showed up at the Baghdad airport last
Sunday with a Royal Jordanian ticket. But he and his
fellow passengers soon discovered that their plane had
been delayed; the Fokker 28 had a technical problem
and was stuck in Amman for repairs.

"I discovered Iraqi Airways are back, so I bought a
ticket on this flight," Raheem said. "I am proud that
our aircraft are back to service."

Basem Abdul Rahman had also intended to fly Royal
Jordanian, and he was reluctant to change his ticket.
"It is not safe," he said. Faced with an unknown
delay, however, he ultimately changed his mind.

En route to Jordan, the voice of the Royal Jordanian
pilot came over the radio in the cockpit. He was
requesting a quick landing in Baghdad to retrieve his
passengers and return to Amman before the airport
closed. Otherwise he would be stranded in Iraq.

Aldoori and Alami laughed. "Tell them they'll have no
passengers," Alami said. "They're all flying with us."

In the main cabin, passengers were nibbling on their
in-flight snack from a plastic box that contained two
small sandwiches and a piece of cake.

Abdul Karim Hashim, Iraq's new ambassador to Russia,
examined the cake package. It was made in Iran.

Hashim, dressed in a dark suit and sitting in the
first row of the economy class, had returned to Iraq
after 20 years in exile. He was flying to Geneva to
pick up his family and then heading to his posting in
Moscow. He too had been booked on the Royal Jordanian
flight. He didn't know Iraqi Airways was flying. He
changed his ticket as soon as he got to the airport.

"It's a great pleasure," he said. "I am proud to fly
with my own national transportation."

After the plane landed at Amman's Queen Alia
International Airport and taxied past three Iraqi
Airways planes that Jordan has seized for debt
service, even the skeptical Abdul Rahman said he was
pleased with the flight.

"From now on, I will fly with them," he said. "This is
my airline."

Special correspondent Naseer Nouri contributed to this report.