WN at DFW?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/100104dnbussouth
west.56b78.html

=20

Southwest may consider D/FW Airport=20

Gates to be vacated by Delta in February could entice carrier

06:22 AM CDT on Friday, October 1, 2004=20

By ERIC TORBENSON and SUZANNE MARTA / The Dallas Morning News=20

Southwest Airlines Co., which for years steadfastly avoided service from
sprawling Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, may be softening its
stance.=20

The discounter's chief executive said Thursday that executives are
closely watching how D/FW fills gates soon to be left vacant by Delta
Air Lines Inc.=20

"It is definitely a situation that we are monitoring," Gary Kelly, who
was named Southwest's CEO in July, said in an interview.=20

"It remains true that we don't want to serve this region from D/FW for a
variety of reasons. We want to continue to serve the Dallas-Fort Worth
region from Love Field, and nothing has changed there in terms of our
desires."=20

However, Mr. Kelly said, the airline could take a fresh look at D/FW
Airport because of the opportunity presented by Delta's decision to pull
its hub.=20

The move will put thousands of passengers up for grabs starting in
February.=20

Now D/FW's No. 2 carrier, Delta will probably keep only about 4 of its
19 exclusive-rights jet gates in Terminal E, freeing up the rest,
airport officials said.=20

"The airline landscape is changing, and it's something we're going to
continue to monitor," Mr. Kelly said. "We're watching closely to see
what service is added and by whom."=20

With big airlines teetering on bankruptcy or even - in the case of
twice-bankrupt US Airways Inc. - near shutdown and liquidation,
Southwest is poised to pounce on new markets throughout the country.=20

At D/FW, Southwest wouldn't be encumbered by the Wright and Shelby
amendments that limit how far its planes can fly from Love Field.
Analysts say Southwest could easily fill dozens of flights to top cities
on either coast if it added D/FW service.=20

Considering that Southwest's fight to fly from Love Field went all the
way to the U.S. Supreme Court, any move to launch service from D/FW
would reshape the North Texas travel landscape.=20

Some observers predict Southwest's colors could soon fly at the airport,
which is one of the world's busiest.=20

"I wouldn't be that surprised if Southwest did," said Robert Mann, an
airline consultant. "The markets out of D/FW are the kind that interest
Southwest. It's not as if there's not any revenue there for them -
there's plenty."=20

Ray Neidl, an analyst for Caylon Securities USA Inc., agreed it could
happen. At D/FW, "there's a real void that's opened there that they
could step into."=20

Southwest has always had the option to fly from D/FW. But the airport
has disadvantages.=20

Planes take a long time to taxi from gates to runways, which could crimp
Southwest's ability to turn flights around quickly, a key to its
profitable operating model.=20

D/FW officials say their arms are open to the world's most successful
discount airline.=20

"We would very much like to have Southwest Airlines out at D/FW Airport,
not in place of Love Field, but as a complement," said chief operating
officer Kevin Cox.=20

Delta's plan to cut more than 90 percent of its daily flights at D/FW
creates a marketing opportunity that the airport hasn't had for more
than two decades, when Braniff International went bankrupt.=20

The airport's marketing head, Joe Lopano, keeps a Beanie Baby-style
plane bearing a Southwest logo on his credenza as a reminder to someday
lure the carrier to his airport.=20

Other carriers=20

AirTran Airways Inc., which now serves five cities from D/FW, could
expand into the open gates. The discounter, based in Orlando, Fla., has
100 planes on order. AirTran officials, who have said they're pleased
with their D/FW results, didn't return calls for comment.=20

Denver-based Frontier Airlines Inc. is also likely to look closely at
more service. Spokesman Joe Hodas said the carrier is "aggressively
evaluating the landscape" for more opportunities but doesn't plan to add
more flights to its Denver-to-D/FW service at the moment.=20

Fort Worth-based American Airlines Inc., which operates its largest and
most profitable hub at D/FW, said it's ready for anything.=20

"Customers have seen us lower our costs in recent years so that we can
compete aggressively with any carrier in any market," said American
spokesman Tim Wagner. "Honestly, we already compete with ... [low-cost
carriers] in the North Texas market and almost every other market in
which we operate."=20

Also on the radar=20

Southwest has shown it can be nimble, as it was in 1991 when Midway
Airlines went out of business at Chicago's Midway Airport. Southwest
snapped up eight gates and quickly expanded its role there; it's now
that airport's top carrier and a considerable thorn in the sides of
other carriers at larger O'Hare International.=20

With the prospect of a fierce battle if it entered D/FW, Southwest may
first look to less-competitive markets, consultants said.=20

If US Airways fails, opening up as many as 118 gates at Philadelphia's
airport virtually overnight, it would present Southwest with a golden
opportunity to get a stranglehold on the nation's No. 4 air market,
measured in potential passengers.=20

"We're interested in more gates at Philadelphia, and there's no secret
to that," Mr. Kelly said. As the most successful launch city in
Southwest's history, Philadelphia remains a big part of the carrier's
plans no matter what happens to US Airways, he said.=20

Officials from Philadelphia wouldn't speculate on what would happen if
US Airways were to downsize or liquidate, but they have "ongoing
conversations with airlines that operate there and those who might want
to expand there," said spokesman Mark Pesce.=20

The Philadelphia airport took back two of the carrier's gates this week
and could lease them to Southwest, which has reached capacity at its
four gates since starting service in May.=20

The airport also has four gates under construction, scheduled for
completion by the end of 2005.=20

Southwest's ability to jump into new markets has typical constraints,
one of the biggest being aircraft. The airline adds 29 planes next year
and would likely go to the used 737 market if it needed more planes,
especially in the first half of 2005, Mr. Kelly said.=20

"In this environment, we would get some very good deals," he said. "We
are fortunate in that we've got a good amount of cash on hand and a very
strong balance sheet."=20

Of all the low-cost, low-fare carriers, most observers like Southwest's
position.=20

"Southwest is the best-positioned carrier to take advantage of any
weakness out there in the marketplace," said Ron Kuhlmann of Unisys R2A
Transportation Management Consultants. Southwest's easiest path to
profits lies in the Northeast, he said.=20

"If you're Southwest, you're going to go to where the biggest
opportunities are, and where there's going to be less competitive
response," he said.=20

Mr. Kelly said his new management team continues to develop scenarios
and gird the carrier for anything.=20

"Nobody knows what the future holds," he said. "We're excited in that
we're well-prepared."=20

=20