DL Trip Report of Sorts....ATL-EWR

.....Last Saturday AM, Mary and I took the 0620 flight
from ATL to EWR for the Newark Airliner show. This
flight in itself would not be very interesting to
report had it not been for a couple of interesting
incidents! The usual mundane service with one shot of
coffee and nothing else.

The aircraft was about 1/3 full, we initially were in
29B 29C, but a couple of minutes before our pushback
at about 0630, we moved back to 30D 30F with a seat
between us. A young guy about 25 or so in 30 A had the
row to himself as well and a converstation started, he
had left DEN on the red-eye and was enroute to STT
(evidently a CO codeshare EWR-STT where he and some
friends had the use of a house for a week. After we
got up in the air, he got Vodka Screwdriver from the
F/A, and as far as I could tell, he gave her a $10.00
bill, and told the F/A to keep the change! And she
did! Soon after that, he stretched himself out over
the three seats (or more accurately, passed out (his
arm was hanging down limp).

The captain came on about over BWI and told us that
because of deteriorating weather conditions at EWR, we
would have to circle for 15-20 minutes, which we did,
this guy across from us never woke up. Then the
captain came on again, said that both EWR and LGA were
closed and it would be necessary to circle some more.
Finally we were cleared for landing (we found out
later, there were tornado warnings in the area). and
this kid didn't wake up. Soon after the chimes went
off for preperation for landing one of the F/A's came
and tried to rouse the kid, which she could not do.
She then attempted to put his seatbelt around him
which she had no luck in doing also. We ended going
through some light chop in descent, and landed, this
guy was still passed out! We deplaned, the kid never
woke up as we gathered our carryons and hurried to the
show!

I wonder if it is common practice for DL F/A's to
accept tips and not require pax seatbelts to be
fastened. Sounds like a global dominate airline like
Aeroflot!

Bryant Petitt
Cumming, GA
EWR -Newark, NJ