From: The Airline List [mailto:AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Clay
Wardlow
Sent: Friday, August 27, 2004 7:23 AM
To: AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: AA take over UA?

Someone on another list reported this (as many of you probably know):

=20

http://www.speednews.com/stw/default.html#MBA

=20

As one of the foremost aviation consulting firms, Morten Beyer & Agnew
(mba) this week proposed the merger of United Airlines and American
Airlines as the only practical solution to the financial problems of
both airlines.

"We propose that American take over United, as the stronger of the two
carriers and the one who possesses the more successful management", said
Chairman Morten Beyer. "United is burdened by its huge unfunded pension
liability, continuing heavy losses despite its bankruptcy and cost
reduction efforts, and has thrice been refused government loan
guarantees required to fund its recovery."=20

Mr. Robert Agnew, President of MBA, pointed out that American's balance
sheet is stronger than United's, with $3.853 billion in cash compared to
$2.226 billion at United, and stockholder's equity only minus $122
million compared to minus $6.624 billion at United.

"It is obvious that Major U.S. carriers face a dim financial future as
they battle the steady growth of low cost competitors, ruinous
competition among themselves, and relentless cost pressure from labor
unions, rising fuel expense, and the costs of maintaining their
inefficient hub-and-spoke route systems," Mr. Beyer said. "A major
impediment to a merger of United and American may lie in DOT and DOJ
concerns over the anti trust implication of such a combination, but we
believe there is no realistic alternative if we are to avoid the
liquidation of United and the resulting adverse consequences to our air
transportation system," stated Mr. Agnew.=20

"We have always had the doctrine of saving failed corporations,
including airlines, through merger, the most recent being American's
takeover of TWA," stated Mr. Agnew. "We see the following major
advantages to a merger of the two carriers:=20

1.      American will become the dominant international carrier between
the U.S. and all areas of the world,=20
2.      The merger will save the jobs of many of United's 80,000
employees and possibly as many as 200,000 airport, servicing, and other
employees,=20
3.      Service will be maintained over United's extensive domestic
route system and preserve competition with other Major carriers,=20
4.      Wasteful competition between United and American will be
eliminated in major markets and excess capacity reduced,=20
5.      The investment and financing in both carriers' extensive fleets
will be preserved,=20
6.      As American has more employees, its unions and their better
labor relations will prevail,=20
7.      As American has the stronger management, progress in overcoming
the merger's problems should be swift and effective,=20
8.      The combination of station facilities, headquarters staff, and
real estate will save hundreds of millions in unneeded duplication, and=20
9.      A buy-out by American will no doubt be the best deal that
United's creditors will ever get," Mr. Agnew concluded.=20

"What with the IAM suing to get the appointment of a trustee for United
and the continued financial failure of the carrier, it is high time to
take decisive action. We believe that the prospects of a merged company
and the combined assets are sufficient to support the estimated $10.0
billion in additional equity and loans required to support the merger,"
Mr. Beyer concluded.

=20

=20

Now, I don't think this will ever happen because the government would
never let it, but it's interesting to think about.

=20

Clay - SEA
FAAn of AA world dominAAnce!

=20