Two Russian Airliners Crash

SOURCE: Yahoo
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=4&u=/ap/20040824/ap_on_re_eu/russia_plane_crash

Report: Two Russian Airliners Crash

10 minutes ago

By STEVE GUTTERMAN, Associated Press Writer

MOSCOW - Two Russian airliners carrying a total of more than 100 people
crashed almost simultaneously south of Moscow, the ITAR-Tass news agency
reported Tuesday. There was no word on survivors.

The first plane was carrying 54 passengers and a crew of eight when it
crashed in the Tula region near the village of Buchalki, the agency
said, citing a duty officer at the regional center for civil defense and
emergencies. The Tula region is about 110 miles south of Moscow.

The second plane was carrying 44 people when it crashed near Rostov, the
agency said, citing an Inter-State Aviation Committee official. Rostov
is about 600 miles south of Moscow.

Both planes were Tupolev Tu-154 jets, the standard medium-range airliner
on domestic flights in Russia, other former Soviet states, Iran and
parts of eastern Europe, according to the Web site Airliners.net.

In Washington, a senior U.S. State Department official said, "We are
obviously concerned by the news. We're following developments closely
and trying to determine the facts."

--
David Mueller / MRY
dmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx