SFGate: Pilots union says US Airways talks hit roadblock

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/news/archive/2004/08/23/f=
inancial1600EDT0182.DTL
Monday, August 23, 2004 (AP)
Pilots union says US Airways talks hit roadblock

   (08-23) 21:50 PDT ARLINGTON, Va. (AP) --
   Talks between US Airways Group Inc. and the union representing pilots ha=
ve
broken down, the Air Line Pilots Association said.
   The announcement came days after union leaders said a new labor agreement
could be struck soon.
   "We are disappointed that the company's latest proposal failed to respond
in any substantive way to our proposal of August 21," Jack Stephan, a
spokesman for the US Airways pilots, said Monday in a statement. The talks
broke down Sunday, the statement said.
   "We negotiated throughout the weekend and have provided (the pilots'
union) with our response to their proposal," US Airways said in a
statement. The statement said the air carrier expected to hear from the
pilots.
   US Airways has said that new labor deals with unions are necessary to
avoid a return to bankruptcy court and possible liquidation. The airline
has warned that bankruptcy looms if deals are not reached next by at least
Sept. 30.
   A deal with the pilots would be the first significant step in US Airways'
plans to cut costs by $1.5 billion a year, including cutting labor costs
by $800 million.
   The airline has sought $295 million a year in concessions from pilots.
   Generally, the pilots have been most receptive to renegotiating their
contract. The pilots were also first to reach a new deal during US
Airways' first trip into bankruptcy in 2002, when labor groups
collectively made more than $1 billion a year in concessions.
   A study commissioned by the pilots found earlier this month that a
bankruptcy filing loomed as soon as mid-September unless management could
implement reforms and cost savings.
   US Airways is also seeking concessions from its flight attendants,
machinists, and from the Communications Workers of America, which
represents reservations agents and gate workers.

On the Net:
   www.usairways.com
   www.usairwayspilots.org

Copyright 2004 AP