Defending Our Skies Against the Elderly

SOURCE: Newsweek
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5781907/site/newsweek/

My Turn: Defending Our Skies Against the Elderly

As I watched the airport screener search my father, I had to wonder:
have we lost our common sense?

By Diane Dimond
Newsweek

Aug. 30 issue - Before he passed away in March, Allen O. Hughes took his
final trip East. He came with Ruby, his wife of 56 years. They came not
because they liked to travel?they came because Allen had lymphoma and he
wanted to visit his only daughter and his granddaughter and his two
great-grandchildren one last time.

The last I saw of him, a burly airport screener was forcing my frail and
faltering 78-year-old father to stand at attention?arms spread?for a
wand search. As I watched from the other side of the security gate I saw
the man in the uniform point to my father to sit down and take off his
shoes. These were the very shoes I'd just seen him wrestle on at home.
He hadn't noticed me in the guest room doorway in the predawn light, but
I had nearly cried as I watched him groaning his way into those shoes.
Old-man shoes, I thought?you know, the ones with the Velcro straps?but
they were about all he could manage.

Even hoisting himself up into my Jeep seemed a chore. As we headed for
the airport I heard my husband, Michael, say, "Nice to have you here,
Allen. Keep up the battle." Dad just dipped his chin and said softly, "I
will."

My father was a man of few words: a proud man who had served his country
during World War II, who had left the Navy and taken Uncle Sam up on the
offer of the GI Bill to start his own business in Albuquerque, N.M. So
he never said a word as he was plucked out of the line of travelers at
the Westchester airport in New York. He'd already taken off his jacket.
He'd untangled himself from the oxygen finger-cuff he wore on a string
around his neck and put it in the little basket gliding down the
conveyor belt. I held my breath as Dad shuffled through the electronic
archway. Something made it squeal, and that's when the burly man
motioned my father to the side.

You have to understand: my dad grew up dirt-poor in the northern reaches
of North Dakota. He endured a terrible childhood and somewhere early on
he taught himself pride and the importance of struggling through. So as
sick as he was, as exhausted as the weeklong trip to New York had to
have been, he did as he was told.

The man who never broke a law in his life stretched out his arms, stared
straight ahead and waited as the wand passed over him. I heard the beep
as the wand passed his left wrist. Without asking permission, the
screener pulled back my father's sleeve to reveal the $20 watch he had
bought because it had big enough numbers to read without his glasses.
That damn wand kept going. Down to my father's belt buckle where I heard
another beep. Again, without a word, the screener yanked up my father's
flannel shirt, slipped his hand down around the buckle and tugged on it.
I watched helplessly, knowing that if I shouted out my increasing rage
I'd humiliate my father even more. I could see Dad clench his jaw as the
last tug on his belt nearly made him lose his balance. Did the screener
really think my father might wreak havoc on a planeload of people?

I'm not blaming the airport screener. He was just doing as he's trained
to do. And I haven't forgotten what a handful of maniacs did on American
soil nearly three years ago?but come on! Is this our best answer?

I waited on the visitors' side of the metal-detector station until my
father struggled back into his shoes. My mother was standing at the end
of the conveyor belt where she'd gathered up his coat, oxygen meter and
wallet. As he shuffled over they spoke a few quiet words and my mother
pointed to their gate. I don't know if it was embarrassment or fatigue,
but Dad forgot to turn around for a final wave.

I have seen elderly people put through similar indignities at airports
in Dallas, Cincinnati and Los Angeles. I remember the Dallas incident
with clarity because the subject of the search reminded me of my father,
except that the man was traveling alone and carrying a cane. The
screener took away his cane, made him remove his belt and shoes and then
left him to sit there while the screener consulted with his supervisor
about how best to scan the cane.

Even as Dad battled his illness my parents still performed great acts of
charity in their community. They read the newspaper so they could cast
informed votes on Election Day. They went to the Albuquerque Fleet
Reserve Club once a week to stay in touch with friends, where I'm sure
my father never mentioned the scene at the airport. Instead, he would
have told his Navy buddies stories about watching the Yankees on his
son-in-law's big-screen television. But I remain indignant.

Of course we need to screen airplane passengers, but I think there is a
better way. My first suggestion is to include in the security training
this mantra: "You must look into the passenger's eyes. People should be
treated with respect." Isn't that the way of life we're all fighting to
keep?