Fwd: SJC breaks ground on new terminal project

--- In BATN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "8/18 KCBS Radio" <batn@xxxx> wrote:
Published Wednesday, August 18, 2004, by KCBS Radio AM 740

Ground Broken on New Terminal for Mineta San Jose International
Airport

Ground has been broken on the largest public works project in San
Jose history.

KCBS reporter Mike Colgan says the new terminal at Mineta San Jose
International Airport will cost about $355 million.

San Jose Mayor Ron Gonzales came out for today's groundbreaking of
the North Concourse project.

"Today, after more than 15 years of master planning, community
and council discussions and debate, after state and federal
environmental clearances and after much discussion with our airlines
and two votes of the public, we are finally ready to begin the
actual building of an airport that truly says you have arrived at
the capital of Silicon Valley," said Gonzales. "Our airport helps
drive our local economy by helping local trade and business prosper
while keeping our region competitive with other cities in the nation
and the world."

Airport Director Ralph Townsend said the new concourse will include
nine new gates and better passenger amenities, as well as improved
security.

"When we complete the new concourse, the city of San Jose will have
a beautiful, spacious, state of the art, memorable architectural
building that we're going to be very, very proud of," said
Townsend. "Silicon Valley is really a virtual valley. We want to
make this airport the world's portal to that virtual valley."

The terminal will eventually be filled with artwork and technology.

The project is scheduled to be completed in 2007. It will be
constructed between terminals A and C.
--- End forwarded message ---