From: The Airline List [mailto:AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Michael A. Burris
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2004 9:27 PM
To: AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Essential Air Service

Clay:

My understanding is that an airline is required to
serve certain markets that would otherwise have no
airline service or very little otherwise.  I just
finished a story on such a carrier,  Great Lakes
Aviation which is a commuter for United Airlines.

They may also get some sort of financial assistance to
run the route (s) , but they usually don't make a
profit.

Many airlines might also be doing this in turn for
some relief or deal with the government.

By providing this service, the consumer has access to
the larger network of markets and air travel.

Mike Burris
Cambridge, Mass