US Airways could file for bankruptcy next month, pilots warn

US Airways could file for bankruptcy next month, pilots warn
Dateline:  Monday August 16, 2004

US Airways could be forced to file for Chapter 11 protection as early as mid- Sept. if it is not able to reduce its costs, according to an analysis of the carrier's financial position prepared on behalf of the Air Line Pilots Assn. by investment bankers Glanzer & Co. and obtained by various news agencies.

The carrier would not comment on the report's finding, noting that it was prepared for ALPA, not the airline. However, it did concur with the "conclusion that it is in the best interests of the company and its employees that we quickly reach consensual agreements with all of our labor unions so that we can achieve the necessary cost reductions and can fully implement our transformation plan."
US Airways is seeking a further $1.5 billion in cost cuts, including $800 million from its labor groups. It currently is in negotiations with its pilots union and has begun talks with the Assn. of Flight Attendants and the Communication Workers of America. However, the International Assn. of Machinists and Aerospace Workers has not agreed to begin discussions with the company.

According to CEO Bruce Lakefield's weekly message to employees, IAM has told the company it cannot meet with management until Aug. 30 and even then the union only will meet to discuss cost-saving ideas that first were shared in March. The company has asked for the analysis and details of the ideas but has yet to receive anything from IAM, he said.

"People are trying to tell me that the pace of this negotiation is typical of the airline business and that I should not get frustrated," Lakefield said. "As a newcomer to the industry, however, I can tell you that I think it's silly that we are wasting so much time when we could be working together to fight off the competition."--LF

Roger
EWROPS