Union boss: Delta's gouging pilots

The report says that Delta's pilots  "are part of the highest-paid pilot=20
group in the industry".

Anybody know who are the lowest-paid commercial airline pilot group in the=
 US ?

USA Today

CINCINNATI =97 Delta Air Lines' latest $1 billion concession proposal is a=
=20
way to "exploit the current situation" and "gouge" the pilots, the chairman=
=20
of the airline's pilot union said Wednesday in a strongly worded letter to=
=20
the rank-and-file. The letter was yet another sign that the cuts the=20
company says are needed to survive could take awhile.

"(Management is) foisting upon us a set of demands that far exceed the=20
economic situation the company faces," wrote John Malone, chairman of=20
Delta's branch of the Air Line Pilots Association, in the letter to the=20
union's nearly 8,000 pilots. "Management's proposal appears to have only=20
one purpose =97 to exploit the current situation and attack our profession=
 by=20
destroying our contract."

Union officials said that the letter was not a sign that pilots were=20
breaking off negotiations, even though Malone said that the union "will=20
take another path" if the airline does not address pilot demands such as=20
getting other employees to share the pain and obtaining an equity share in=
=20
the airline.

"We are really trying to get a deal done," union spokesman Chris Renkel=
 said.

Still, Renkel said no talks would be held until union leaders got specifics=
=20
on a possible equity sharing plan =97 perhaps even including a voting seat=
 on=20
the board of directors =97 from management and further details on the Delta=
=20
restructuring plan that's due later this month.

Delta senior vice president and chief of operations Joe Kolshak said that=20
the company's latest offer was not part of "a take-it-or-leave-it process"=
=20
in a memo to other workers.

"We respect our pilots ... we agree the pilot group alone cannot save=20
Delta," Kolshak wrote. "There was and is no intent to be punitive or to=20
affix blame."

Malone's letter came in response to Friday's release of the Atlanta-based=20
carrier's latest proposal for concessions from the pilots.

Delta has lost more than $5 billion since the Sept. 11 terror attacks,=20
including $1.96 billion in the second quarter of this year alone. The=20
company's stock fell Wednesday, closing at $4.69

The airline employs 4,800 at the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International=
=20
Airport, its second-largest hub. That operation also includes nearly 800=20
pilots, who are part of the highest-paid pilot group in the industry.

Delta chief executive officer Gerald Grinstein wrote to pilots last Friday=
=20
that the company was seeking a 35% pay cut as part of a concession package=
=20
worth over $1 billion annually.

That came in response to a pilot offer of cuts worth between $655 million=20
and $705 million annually that included a 23% pay cut.

Malone also told union members that a more detailed analysis of the=20
company's latest proposal would come later this week.=20