Re: Alliance's next F100

Stuart Bigler <Sgbigler@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>     N887US passed through ANC today. Southern Cross is ferrying it
>somewhere. I say somewhere because it was in full US livery as it came
>through. Somebody, obviously, will have to repaint it. It left here bound
>for Nome, Alaska and points beyond. Its operating as SXA141. It looked
>to be in good condition, paint bright, glass clear, and such.
>Landings.com shows that this another 1991 model. I'm curious though,
>landings.com show's the model number as "F.28 Mk 0100". I thought that
>the Fokker F28 was more like a regional jet. I'm sure that Walter
>will enlighten me. :-))

Stuart,
   The original F-28 variants were numbered Mk-1000 to Mk-6000.
The Fokker 100 is a major development of the F-28 airframe, but
certification-wise is just another variant, which was added to the
F-28 type certificate. In order to keep some connection with the
Fokker 100 moniker, the designation F-28 Mk-0100 was invented.
Now that yoy know this, I am sure that you can guess that the
official designation of the Fokker 70 is F-28 Mk-0070.

   The Fokker 50 is similarly designated F-27 Mk-050.

                                   Kees de Lezenne Coulander

C.M. de Lezenne Coulander
Aircraft Development and Systems Engineering B.V.
Hoofddorp, the Netherlands