NYTimes.com Article: When Business Class Means Second Class

The article below from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@xxxxxxxxx

THE CLEARING - NOW PLAYING IN SELECT CITIES

THE CLEARING stars ROBERT REDFORD and HELEN MIRREN as Wayne
and Eileen Hayes - a husband and wife living the American
Dream. Together they've raised two children and struggled to
build a successful business from the ground up. When Wayne
is kidnapped by Arnold Mack (WILLEM DAFOE), and held for
ransom in a remote forest, the couple's world is turned
inside out.

Buy tickets now at:
http://movies.channel.aol.com/movie/main.adp?mid=17891

When Business Class Means Second Class

July 20, 2004
 By CHRISTOPHER ELLIOTT

Listen to business travelers like Michael Kolsky, and you
might be left with the impression that the travel industry
has forgotten the basics of customer service.

"I check into a hotel, and I'm given the worst room,'' said
Mr. Kolsky, the president of Mikol Ltd., a beverage
consulting company in Blaine, Wash. "I board a plane, and
the flight attendants ignore me. It used to happen
occasionally. Now it happens constantly."

But listen to representatives of the airline, hotel or car
rental business, and you could be left with the impression
that business travelers, who have become increasingly
budget-minded, are getting exactly what they deserve.

At a Cornell University hospitality industry conference
this spring, for example, Matthew J. Hart, then the
executive vice president of Hilton Hotels, declared that
guests who book discounted accommodations online are more
likely to be stuck in a room next to the ice machine or
elevator. (Mr. Hart has since been promoted to president of
the hotel chain.)

The remark drew laughs from the audience but also nods of
agreement, said Judy A. Siguaw, a professor of marketing at
Cornell who attended the panel discussion. "Corporate
America wants to save money," she said. "But business
travelers have not adjusted their expectations
accordingly." Indeed, her guest-satisfaction research
suggests that they are demanding more from a travel
industry that is prepared to offer less.

Several new studies support that conclusion. The latest
American Customer Satisfaction Index survey, a quarterly
measure of customer sentiment compiled by the University of
Michigan Business School, found that business travelers
give airlines a failing grade. Not only that, but their
opinion is sinking: the airline score slipped by 2 points
this year, to 63 out of a possible 100. Leisure travelers,
by comparison, gave commercial carriers the same grade as
in 2003: a 67.

Corporate travel managers - the executives who manage
business travel at large corporations - acknowledge that
their employees are more demanding. An internal survey by
the National Business Travel Association, a trade group,
found that 79 percent of business travelers said they were
entitled to a higher level of service than other travelers.

Taken together, the polls not only point to a widening gap
between what business travelers expect and what they get,
they also suggest that the indignity they dread above all
others - being treated like tourists - is tormenting them.
And as skies become more crowded and hotel occupancy rates
soar this summer, tensions are bound to run even higher.

"Business travelers as a whole have been significantly less
satisfied than leisure travelers during the past two
years," said David Van Amburg, the managing director for
the American Customer Satisfaction Index. He said the
situation was similar to the one that leisure travelers
faced after airline deregulation in the 1970's, when
carriers cut everything from legroom to meal service.
Tourists eventually adjusted.

But will business travelers? Not if they can help it, they
say.

Airline passengers like the Rev. Ronald Culmer, an
Episcopal priest in Winnetka, Calif., are reluctant to put
up with bad service and shrinking space. On one
transcontinental red-eye flight, a passenger in the narrow
economy-class seat next to him fell asleep, Father Culmer
recalled, "and I had his hands, his head, his drool and
half of one leg in my seat.'' On another, the cabin was so
cramped that there was no way to escape the prodding elbows
of flight attendants and the bumping of their meal carts.
"Where can you go at 35,000 feet?'' he asked.

Father Culmer says the only alternative to suffering in
flight is an upgrade to first class, but like many other
frequent fliers, he wonders why it should be the only
option.

The complaints are not limited to airlines. Kathy Bible, a
lawyer for a trade organization in Tallahassee, Fla., says
car rental companies have also stopped caring about
business travelers the way they used to. She remembers a
recent experience with her organization's preferred car
rental company in which she was subjected to discourteous
employees, her reservation was lost, and she was given the
keys to the wrong car twice.

"When I returned the car, I was charged for gas even though
the tank was still full,'' she said. And on the company's
shuttle bus, a driver "very rudely told me I couldn't get
off the bus through the back door where the other
passengers were departing; instead, I had to get off
through the front door. I had a hard time refraining from
giving him a Dick Cheney greeting as I got off the bus. But
I controlled myself.''

But do business travelers deserve preferential service?
"Yes, I do expect to be treated better,'' Ms. Bible said.
Business travelers support the travel industry in good
times and in bad, she reasons, and they often also pay
more, booking airline tickets with fewer restrictions,
hotel rooms on short notice or full-size cars.

Generally, the travel industry agrees that business
travelers who pay more deserve more. It is the ones who
book deeply discounted airfares, hotels or cars through the
Internet who perturb them.

Mr. Hart's comments at the Cornell conference were hardly
unique. Efforts to rein in bargain-hunting business
travelers have included changing loyalty programs so that
benefits are tied to fare prices instead of just the number
of miles flown, as Delta Air Lines did last year. The
pay-for-perks attitude also extends to employees, who seem
less willing to tolerate business travelers who demand to
be pampered even when they travel on the cheap.

Raul Zambrana, a flight attendant for a major American
airline who is based in Frankfurt, remembers two recent
passengers in first class who were particularly difficult.
"They came in with a queen and king of England attitude,"
he recalled. "They threw stuff everywhere. They told us to
put their bags in the overhead compartment. They held the
meal service because one of them needed to work."

Mr. Zambrana says he has no problems with high-maintenance
passengers who have paid the full price, in some cases
upward of five figures, for a first-class seat on an
international flight. "But as I was looking at the flight's
paperwork, I noticed that in the remarks columns, next to
their names, it said, 'operational upgrade,' " he said.
"Which means they didn't pay for it. It turns out the
passengers were flying on an inexpensive economy-class
ticket.''

Although he was put off by the passengers' sense of
entitlement, he says he did not allow it to interfere with
his job. But his disdain for passengers with Champagne
tastes and beer budgets is widespread in the travel
industry, especially among employees who have accepted pay
and benefit cuts to help their companies weather hard
times. For such customers to demand red-carpet treatment
strikes them as impudent.

The rift between corporate travelers and the travel
industry has always existed to some extent, says Jack
O'Neill, the chief operating officer for the corporate
travel agency Carlson Wagonlit Travel USA. But higher costs
on the part of the travel industry and increased demand by
leisure travelers have turned that fissure into a chasm.
"On the one hand, business travelers are the travel
industry's best customers - they drive profitability,'' he
said. "On the other hand, with all the focus on travel
spending, business travelers are finding new ways to save
money.''

Is there a way to bring the two sides closer? As difficult
as these regular customers may be, Mr. O'Neill said travel
companies, and particularly airlines, do not want to lose
them to their competition. "I think they really want to
treat business travelers better,'' he said. "But how can
you do that when your planes are flying full?''

Readers are invited to send stories about business travel
experiences to businesstravel@xxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/20/business/20deflate.html?ex=1091327783&ei=1&en=81b44effbade8cca