Trip Report: American MRY-LAX-HNL; ATA HNL-SFO

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

American Eagle flight 3030
Monterey, California (MRY) to Los Angeles, California (LAX)
Scheduled:  1535-1703
Actual:  1538-1702
SAAB 340B
N392AE
Seat 10A

Upon arrival at the airport, I headed to the American Eagle counter to
check in.  There were a couple people in front of me, and it took a few
minutes.  While I was waiting, a TSA agent came up and took the bags I
was checking for inspection.  The agent checked me in, advising that
they were expecting the aircraft to arrive late from LAX but they still
expected to depart on time.  I headed over to the security checkpoint
and went though with no problems.  Eventually the aircraft arrived and
passengers disembarked.  While we were waiting to board, an agent came
around and tagged the carryon bags that would be left at the door of the
aircraft.  At 1521, boarding started through gate 6, first for
AAdvantage elite passengers as well as those needing assistance, and
shortly after all other passengers were invited to board.  The boarding
passes showed group assignments, but for such a small aircraft boarding
by group is pretty much a waste of time.

At 1538, the propellors were spinning and we moved away from the gate.
We headed out to runway 28L and were off the ground at 1544.  Over
Monterey Bay we made a 270° right turn to head south.  Once we reached
our cruising altitude of 19,000 feet, the flight attendant came through
the cabin offering 7-Up, Cranberry Apple juice, or water.  I selected
the juice and was also given a package of cheddar cheese flavored snack mix.

The flight was pretty smooth, and 10A was a good seat, behind the wing
allowing a good view.  The aircraft seemed different than some of the
other American Eagle SAABs I had been in, it had small overhead bins
over the 2 side seats rather than "overhead slots" that couldn't hold
much at all.  Los Angeles was covered in marine layer fog, and as we
descended into it there were some bumps but nothing too severe.  As we
were passing the south side runways, I saw a Star Alliance A340 holding
in position on runway 25R, I think it might have been Lufthansa's.  We
touched down on the north side, runway 24R at 1657.  After pulling off
the runway, we held short of runway 24L to allow a British Airways
747-400 to depart.  Also while we were waiting, I saw a Frontier A319
land on runway 24L.  We taxied to the American Eagle terminal, and as we
were pulling in I saw an Air India 747-400, a new airline to LAX,
heading to it's gate at the Tom Bradley International Terminal.

At 1602 we were parked at gate 44F, I disembarked and waited at the
terminal end of the covered walkway along with several other passengers
for the carryon bags we had left at the side of the aircraft.  Once they
came, I headed over to pick up the shuttle bus that would take me over
to Terminal 4.

During the bus ride, I noticed an unusual 747 parked on the south side
of the airport.  I couldn't make out the details at the time, but with
help I was able to determine that the aircraft was Air Atlanta
Icelandic's TF-ARO painted in a special Olympic livery, which had flown
the Olympic torch into Los Angeles on the same day.

American Airlines flight 267
Los Angeles, California (LAX) to Honolulu, Hawaii (HNL)
Scheduled:  1810-2041
Actual:  1812-2034
Boeing 767-323ER
N376AN
Seat 38A

Upon arrival in Terminal 4, I headed over to gate 48B to wait for
boarding.  There were already quite a few people in the boarding area,
though I did not hear any announcements requesting volunteers to give up
their seats.  I spent the time standing by the windows looking out over
the ramp and the south runways.

At 1733 boarding began, as usual it was done by pre-boarders first
followed by groups.  I was in group 3 so it was a few minutes yet before
my group was called.  When it was I headed over, had my boarding pass
scanned and picked up the Hawaii Agriculture Declaration form.  I
settled into my seat, 38A; there were two rows behind me.  A family with
two infants was split up in front and behind me, fortunately the only
time the infants were crying was before push back and after landing. :D

It appeared to be a completely full flight, and at 1812 we began our
push back from the gate.  We headed for runway 25R on the south side for
departure; we were #2 behind another American 767-300.  At 1823 we were
off the ground, heading through the clouds and on our way up to our
cruising altitude of 32,000 feet.

Initially, a drink service was offered along with mini pretzels.  A
preview of the movie, "50 First Dates" was shown, and flight attendants
came through the cabin selling headsets.  The "CBS Eye On American"
program started on the video monitors, with news and sports segments,
and an episode of "Two and a Half Men."  I alternated between watching
that and reading the American Way magazine.

Dinner was served, and I chose to try the pasta, which wasn't half bad.
  It was accompanied by a salad which was mostly iceberg lettuce, a
surprisingly most roll, and a marble brownie for dessert.  Not bad.
Certainly better than the Little Blue Bags offered by Delta on their San
Francisco to Honolulu flight.

I watched the movie, a romantic comedy starring Adam Sandler and Drew
Barrymore.  It was kinda cute.  I wouldn't have spent the money to see
it in theaters or rent/buy the DVD, but it wasn't a bad way to pass a
couple of hours on an airplane.  The fact it is set in Hawaii didn't
hurt either.  I did note that it has a very similar premise to an
episode of Star Trek: Enterprise which aired during the past season.
Both center around a character who loses the ability to form new short
term memories.

By the time the movie was over it was getting dark outside, and we were
approaching the islands.  Our approach was the usual one, passing south
of the airport and turning to land on runway 4R.  We touched down at
2028 and headed to the gate.  We stopped and waited a couple of minutes
just short of the gate, pulling into our parking place at gate 16 at
2034.  Being near the back of the aircraft it took some time before I
was able to leave my seat and head out, as I walked out of the central
concourse I noticed an American Trans Air flight had just arrived as
well.  I headed down to the baggage claim, got my bags when they came
off, and headed home.

Originally, I had planned to depart July 1 on American flight 58 to San
Jose, and connect to American Eagle flight 3141 to San Diego.  I was
going to spend a couple of days in San Diego, before heading back to
Monterey on July 4 via American Eagle flight 3096 to Los Angeles,
connecting to American Eagle flight 3033.  However, I was forced to
change my travel plans and needed to skip San Diego, and head straight
back from Hawaii to Monterey on the 4th.  However, since the trip was
already in progress, American wouldn't let me reroute the ticket, so I
would have to buy a new ticket.  After some shopping around, I found a
$179 one way ticket from Honolulu to San Francisco on ATA, so I booked that.

Sunday, July 4, 2004

ATA Airlines flight 626
Honolulu, Hawaii (HNL) to San Francisco, California (SFO)
Scheduled:  1430-2228
Actual:  1425-2226
Boeing 757-33N
N553TZ
Seat 34A

This was my first time flying ATA, and my first time on a 757-300; I
have flown the 757-200 before with Delta, American, Northwest, and
United.  I arrived at HNL at around 1230, and found the ATA check-in
area was not very busy.  I put my luggage through the agriculture
inspection machine, then went over to check in.  After a few moments I
was waived over to an agent who was standing behind one of ATA's self
check-in kiosks, but I didn't use the kiosk itself, she checked me in.
Once I had my boarding pass and my luggage was tagged, I was instructed
to bring the bags over to the CTX machine at left them there.

My family and I walked over and sat down next to the American check-in
counters, where we said our good-byes and I got myself organized to go
through the checkpoint.  The line at the security checkpoint was rather
short, and I went through without any difficulties.  As I was walking
down the breezeway to the central concourse and my gate, a Northwest
757-300 in new colors pushed back from the gate.

I sat down by the window at gate 16 and waited for boarding.  The
aircraft was parked at the gate.  While waiting, notable aircraft I saw
included an Atlas Air 747 with full titles and livery, Lufthansa Cargo
MD-11, and North American 757-200.  No photos, unfortunately.

The boarding area was pretty empty.  Though summer is usually very busy
for flights to Hawaii, relatively few people wanted to travel on the
July 4th holiday itself.  At 1346, boarding began.  Boarding was
announced as "Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays and ATA."  I also heard the
boarding announcements for the nearby departure to Phoenix and
Chicago/Midway, which was announced as "Apple Vacations and ATA."
Families with small children and those needing special assistance were
invited to pre-board, and a few minutes later passengers seated in rows
20 and higher (row numbers go up to 44 on this aircraft) were invited to
board.  This included me, so I headed to the gate where my boarding pass
was collected.  There were boarding pass scanners at the gate and a bar
code was printed on the boarding pass, but it wasn't used; instead the
boarding pass stub was torn off and handed back to me.

I settled into my seat, which was immediately in front of the rear
mid-cabin lavatories.  As SeatGuru had reported, they did not recline
very much.  Nobody was seated in either of the seats next to me, though
there was someone in the row in front of me.  The seats were leather and
reasonably comfortable, though legroom seemed a bit tight but not
significantly worse than other major airlines.  During boarding, a
Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays video was running, showing scenes from Hawaii
and occasionally, an ATA L-1011.

The other thing I noticed was the predominance of the color brown.  The
seats were brown, as were the shirts of the male flight attendants.

It seemed to take quite a while for everyone to get settled, and this
was a relatively empty flight.  Still, we managed to push back from the
gate 5 minutes ahead of schedule at 1425.  The safety video was shown,
it was computer animated, with wire frame outlines of people.

We headed out for departure.  We were #2 for departure on runway 8L.
First a Pacific Wings Cessna Caravan landed, followed by an Island Air
Dash 8.  Then the Aloha 737-200 waiting in front of us departed,
followed by the landing of a winglet-equipped Aloha 737-700.  Two
Hawaiian 717-200s were waiting behind us to depart.  We were off the
ground at 1443.

After takeoff, we made the usual right turn and flew past downtown
Honolulu and Waikiki.  Past Oahu, we turned and headed northeast towards
San Francisco and continued our climb to our cruising altitude of 35,000
feet.  Free headsets were passed out; they were the two prong type also
used by Aloha and Delta, but were ear bud headsets rather than the
clip-on-the-ear type used by Aloha and Delta.

The first video program was Travel Cafe, which featured travel
information and recipes from the Australian state of Victoria.  Hot
towels were passed out, along with an initial beverage service; the
first alcoholic drink was free.  I asked for apple juice and was given a
cup along with a small package of macadamia nuts.  A flight attendant
also let me know about the limited recline of my seat and advised me the
exit row behind the lavatories was open.

I stayed where I was for the moment, however.  After Travel Cafe, the
movie "Hellboy" was started.  I decided not to watch it, preferring
instead to read the ATA in-flight magazine, Ambassadair's Journey.
Ambassadair is ATA's travel club, and a good portion of the magazine was
devoted to advertising Ambassadair's packages.  Also in the seat pocket
was Pleasant's Hawaii magazine, which is a tourist publication for
Hawaii visitors that can also be picked up free from stands throughout
Waikiki.

During the movie dinner was served, with the drink cart right behind it.
  I chose the Beef Strips, which reminded me of Chicken Fried Steak TV
dinners.  It was served with mashed potatoes and vegetables.  In
addition there was a cucumber and tomato salad, a roll with Country
Crock spread, a package of Club crackers, a triangle of cheese, a
package of Biscoff cookies, and a cup of spring water.  All utensils
were plastic.  From the beverage cart I ordered another cup of apple juice.

After dinner I decided to check out my seating options.  The passenger
in front of me had reclined his seat fully, limiting my room.  I saw
that the entire exit row was indeed open, so I picked up my book and
headset and moved back to seat 36F.  With nobody seated in the row
behind, I could recline without feeling any guilt.

Later there was a third beverage service, and I requested cranberry
apple juice and was given a cup.  After the movie, a situation comedy
was shown, followed by some sort of news magazine.  I didn't pay much
attention, instead continuing to read.

Towards the end of the flight, cups of orange sherbet were passed out
along with a packaged moist towelette.  The sherbet was a bit hard, and
thus took some work to eat with the plastic spoon.  Finally, as arrival
neared, mints were passed out.

As we passed over the bay area, I could see bursts of light and
occasional aerial fireworks.  The flight attendants took there seats,
one in the jump seat facing me.  Since I was now in an exit row, she
asked if I was willing to assist in an emergency and I responded that I
was.  The approach to SFO seemed typical, and we touched down on runway
28R at 2220.  After a few minutes taxiing, we were parked at gate 25 at
2226.  Being a long skinny plane, it took a few more minutes for
everyone to get off.

I headed for the baggage claim.  One of my suitcases was already
circling as I walked up to it, but it was several minutes before the
second batch of baggage arrived, which contained  my second suitcase.
While waiting I noticed that the carousel was rather small, and wondered
what it would be like with all the people crowded around had our
247-seat aircraft been full.

Because of the holiday, the Monterey/Salinas AirBus was not running
their 2315 departure from SFO; their last shuttle left at 2100.  Knowing
this, I had reserved a rental car from National.  After my second
suitcase arrived, I headed down the steps and through the tunnel, then
up the elevator to the AirTrain which would take me to the car rental
center.  There was no waiting there either, and after taking care of the
paperwork I headed into the garage.  National lets you select whatever
vehicle you want from the class you reserved; I had reserved a compact
and had a choice between two Chevrolet Cavaliers, a Saturn Ion, and a
Pontiac Sunfire.  I chose the Ion, put my luggage in the trunk, and
headed for Monterey.  Traffic was pretty light, especially once I was
south of San Jose, and arrived at my apartment at about 0100, but I had
the time difference from Hawaii working in my favor so it felt like only
2200.  I returned the car to National at the Monterey airport later in
the afternoon.

Overall, American was about as usual.  Nothing wrong with them, but
nothing special aside from More Room Throughout Coach.  ATA was fine,
the service they provided seemed similar to Aloha's (free drink, free
movie, hot meal, end of flight dessert), but they didn't have the same
aloha spirit of Aloha and Hawaiian's flight attendants.  Hawaiian and
Aloha remain my top choices for flights to Hawaii, but I would fly ATA
again if the price was right.

--
David Mueller / MRY
dmueller7@xxxxxxxxx