Re: LGA vs JFK

At 01:02 PM 6/24/2004, you wrote:
>With B6's announcement that they will start service at LGA, I've begun
>to wonder:
>
>=20
>
>Is there really that big of a difference between LGA and JFK? From
>Manhattan, how much time does someone save by going to LGA rather than
>JFK?
>
>Clay - SEA
>
>=20

Huge. From most of Manhattan, LGA is pretty straighforward, with a couple of
paths, and some decent ways to duck some of the worst traffic. JFK either
drags you right past LGA (If you go over the tri-borough bridge) or drags
you through either
the midtown tunnel or queensboro bridge both of which lead towards the LIE
(bad news) and almost
all routes lead inexorably towards the southbound Van Wyck expressway, one
of NY's worst
spots for traffic jams. At peak times, I allow a full extra hour for JFK
over LGA, and try to
avoid having to arrive/depart from JFK between 8:00 -- 10:00 am and
4:00-7:00 pm. For LGA,
the AM peak's rarely a problem, as you're going against traffic, and the PM
peak, while present,
is much less severe. I try to avoid 4:30-5:30 for heading to LGA, but with
a good limo or taxi
driver, it is still usually possible to make it in an hour.

Note that this is all mad much worse due to the rotten mass transit access
to the airports.
Even with the new JFK train, and the EWR train, both a problematic if you
have any bags
to speak of, and aren't starting near Penn station.The NYC Subways are
amazing, but
bag schelpping friendly, they ain't.

- David