SFGate: United workers fearful of cuts/Unions say they'll try to help airline exit bankruptcy

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/chronicle/archive/2004/06=
/24/BUG0G7AS051.DTL
Thursday, June 24, 2004 (SF Chronicle)
United workers fearful of cuts/Unions say they'll try to help airline exit =
bankruptcy
David Armstrong, Chronicle Staff Writer

   Employees of bankrupt United Airlines are willing to help the company but
worry they may be asked to make even more painful concessions as the
carrier seeks to cut costs and snare a big federal loan guarantee to ease
its exit from Chapter 11.
   United, the nation's no. 2 carrier and the dominant airline at San
Francisco International Airport, said Wednesday it had scaled back its
request for a $1.6 billion loan guarantee from the Air Transportation
Stabilization Board to $1.1 billion. The earlier request was rebuffed
twice, most recently last week.
   A United spokesman declined to comment on other details of the revised
proposal from UAL Corp., United's parent company.
   The Wall Street Journal, citing sources that have seen the application,
reported that UAL had offered to repay any loan in five years instead of
seven years, planned to seek $500 million in private funds and would
strive to cut its operating costs even more.
   That last point has caught the attention of United employees, who have
already conceded millions in salaries, benefits and pension payments to
UAL. The company employs 11,000 workers in Northern California, down from
20,000 in 2001, and 63,000 worldwide, down from 100,000 in 2001.
   "Whenever airline management thinks about cutting costs, they
automatically look to labor," said Dawn Deeks, a spokeswoman for the
Association of Flight Attendants. She said her union had heard nothing
specific from UAL in recent days.
   "The flight attendants have already given up $340 million a year," Deeks
said. "I think management really needs to look at other options."
   Herb Hunter, a spokesman for the Air Line Pilots Association, also said
his union had not seen recent specific proposals from management.
   "We're taking it one step at a time," Hunter said. "All the unions have
given up a great deal. There's not a whole lot that remains."
   Hunter said United employees were proud of increased passenger traffic, a
better on-time record, fewer consumer complaints and an upgrade in
customer service since United entered Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection 18
months ago.
   Even so, Hunter said, "I do think we're short some employees. Customers
have to wait awhile for reservation agents, and there is sometimes one
gate agent where there should be two."
   Joe Tiberi, a spokesman for the International Association of Machinists
and Aerospace Workers, said the union had not received any recent UAL
proposals for givebacks and would have no comment unless it did.
   United workers support the company's bid for a loan guarantee, Hunter
said. "We all want this to happen," he said. "We believe it's the best
chance we've got."
   E-mail David Armstrong at davidarmstrong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx --------------=
Copyright 2004 SF Chronicle