Re: Airport Officials Find Blasting Cap In Man's Luggage

From: "Fletcher, Robert SPK" <Robert.Fletcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 12:23 PM

> I am wondering how the nation's passenger service would treat this problem
> with such open access at train stations all across the country?

<snip>
I don't know how much damage a blasting cap can do to an airplane, but I
don't think it can make much difference to a train.   It used to be that a
way of warning that a train was stopped was to put explosives called
"torpedoes" on the track to be blown up by an approaching train and make a
loud bang.   For all I know they may still use them, although without a
brakeman to walk back on the track to set the torpedo, I doubt it.

Of course, there's nothing to keep you from carrying a suitcase full of
dynamite on to a passenger train (or on to a slow moving open box car).
That could make a difference.

Gerry
http://www.pbase.com/gfoley9999/
http://foley.ultinet.net/~gerry/aerial/aerial.html