From: damiross2@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:damiross2@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2004 9:56 AM
To: AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: National Airlines

In answer to Bob's question ("Can we name the fallen flag Airlines?"),
here's the larger airlines I can think of off the top of my head that were
alive in the 50s & 60s that are no longer with us. These are airlines that
held a Certificate of Public Convenience by the Civil Aeronautics Board.
(Only USA airilnes listed).

Braniff (orignal) - went bankrupt
Capital - merged into United
Texas International - eventually merged into Continental
Eastern - eventually merged into Continental
National (the original one) - Merged into Pan Am
Pan Am - bankrupted, out of business
TWA - merged into American
Western -  merged into Delta
Northeast - merged into Delta
PSA - merged into USAir (before or after name changed from Allegheny?)
Lake Central - merged into Allegheny (now called US Airways)
Air Cal - merged into American
Seaboard World - merged into Flying Tigers
Flying Tigers - merged in FedEx
Mackey - merged into Eastern
Pacific Northern - merged into Western
Reeve Aleutian - out of business
Alaska Coastal - not sure if merged or out of business
Ellis - not sure if merged or out of business (don't believe this is the
full name of the airline)

___________________

Wien - out of business  (Intre Alaska airline?
<----------------------------------------------------???????????

____________________

West Coast/Pacific/Bonanza - 3 way merger to former Air West (the only 3 at
once merger that I know of)
Hughes AirWest - merged into Republic (this is the same airline as Air West
above)
Southern - merged into North Central to form Republic
Republic - Merged into Northwest
Ozark - merged into TWA
Panagra - merged into Braniff
Mid Continent - merged into Braniff?
Frontier - merged into PeopleExpress (PeopleExpress is no longer with us but

David

Technically speaking, the USA doesn't have "flag carriers," which I take to
mean airlines owned solely or largely by a nation's government to display
the flag abroad. Pan Am, however, did come close to being a flag carrier