Re: Plane Face-Off Shuts Narita Runway

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gerard M Foley" <gfoley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 9:45 PM
Subject: Re: Plane Face-Off Shuts Narita Runway

> Port Columbus (CMH) has two runways, 10R-28L, 8000 feet, and 10L-28R,
10000
> feet, separated by enough that there is no interference.   Traffic is so
> light that I never remember two aircraft landing on the two at the same
> time.  It seems as if the controllers put the traffic where it will have
> least taxiing to do.   This means that most GA goes on the 10000 foot
runway
> because the facility is on that side of the field.  Something less than
half
> the gates are there too, so some airline traffic lands and departs from
the
> long runway too.  More than half of the gates are on the other (North)
side
> of the terminal, so most airlines use the 8000 foot runway, as do
Executive
> Jet, or whatever it is called now, which is on the other side of the short
> runway.
>
> Our prevailing winds are from the west, south west to northwest.  Thus
most
> of the time the runways are 10R and 10L.  Occasionally the wind is from
the
> other half of the circle, and the runways in use are 28L and 28R (this is
> mainly in the evening).
>
> I have asked these questions of a friend who has been at CMH ATC for forty
> or so years, but he has never seemed to understand what I am talking
about:

> Who decides to switch from 10 to 28?
>
> Is there a firm rule?
>
> When you switch, what is the minumum time between action on 10 and
> succeeding action on 28?

  Section 5. Runway Selection

      3-5-1. SELECTION

        a. Except where a "runway use" program is in effect, use the runway
most nearly aligned with the wind when 5 knots or more or the "calm wind"
runway when less than 5 knots (set tetrahedron accordingly) unless use of
another runway:

        NOTE-
        1. If a pilot prefers to use a runway different from that specified,
the pilot is expected to advise ATC.

        2. At airports where a "runway use" program is established, ATC will
assign runways deemed to have the least noise impact. If in the interest of
safety a runway different from that specified is preferred, the pilot is
expected to advise ATC accordingly. ATC will honor such requests and advise
pilots when the requested runway is noise sensitive.

        REFERENCE-
        FAAO 8400.9, National Safety and Operational Criteria for Runway Use
Programs.

          1. Will be operationally advantageous, or

          2. Is requested by the pilot.

        b. When conducting aircraft operations on other than the advertised
active runway, state the runway in use.

3-8-4. SIMULTANEOUS OPPOSITE DIRECTION OPERATION
Authorize simultaneous opposite direction operations on parallel runways, on
parallel landing strips, or on a runway and a parallel landing strip only
when the following conditions are met:

  a. Operations are conducted in VFR conditions.

  b. Two-way radio communication is maintained with the aircraft involved
and pertinent traffic information is issued.

  PHRASEOLOGY-
  TRAFFIC (description) ARRIVING/DEPARTING/LOW APPROACH, OPPOSITE DIRECTION
ON PARALLEL RUNWAY/LANDING STRIP.

  c. The distance between the runways or landing strips is in accordance
with the minima in TBL 3-8-2.

TBL 3-8-2

  Opposite Direction Distance Minima
      Type of Operation
     Minimum distance (feet)
      between parallel

        Runway centerlines
     Edges of adjacent strips or runway and strip

      Between sunrise and sunset
     1,400
     1,400

      Between sunset and sunrise