Re: Worst Airfield Config

I've also heard to get to the runway that airliners use as SNA, they
have to cross the other runway; the one airliners cannot use.

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Montano [mailto:mmontano@xxxxxxxxx]=20
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 5:01 AM
Subject: Re: Worst Airfield Config

SNA's other problem is it's location.

Perpendicular to the ocean, and a bunch of NIMBYs who live under the
departure path. It requires approaches from over the smoggy land, and
some rocket fueled departures to quickly gain altitude.

Did an Alaskan 737 out of there and the pilots do warn you about what
is about to happen.

The stand on the brakes.

Push the engines wide open.

Accelerate, rotate, approach the maximum angle of attack up to about
3,000 feet and then cut the throttle back to just above idle as the
plane passes over the the homes of folks who moved there AFTER the
airport was built.

Otherwise I'd nominate ORD for runway config (so many intersecting
runways) and LGA/DCA for "nice airport" but "bad location."

Matthew