SFGate: S.F. AIRPORT/Panache, incentives helped lure new airline

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/chronicle/archive/2004/06=
/07/BAGL471TIM1.DTL
Monday, June 7, 2004 (SF Chronicle)
S.F. AIRPORT/Panache, incentives helped lure new airline
David Armstrong, Chronicle Staff Writer

   Star power, close coordination between government and business, and
relatively cheap commercial real estate each played a part in persuading a
startup airline backed by British entrepreneur Richard Branson to choose
San Francisco International Airport for its operational headquarters.
   The as yet unnamed, low-fare domestic airline is the brainchild of
Branson, the majority owner of Virgin Group, which operates international
carrier Virgin Atlantic Airways. The new, U.S.-based airline, in which
Branson will hold a minority interest, plans to start flying next year
after it secures financing. Officials at the airline said it will hire up
to 1,500 people in the Bay Area and 300 in New York, where it will set up
an administrative headquarters.
   The company, headed by recently hired former Delta Air Lines executive
Frederick Reid, was much sought after as a source of jobs and business
cachet. Boston, Washington, D.C., and New York bid for the carrier, which
will incorporate the Virgin brand in its name to cash in on the cool,
brash image of Virgin and Branson.
   "We got five times the number of jobs (as New York)," said San Francisco
Mayor Gavin Newsom, who played an active role in wooing the airline. "We
have the heart and soul of the operation, the core of the operation that's
due to grow."
   SFO won out with a combination of cash incentives and cultural "soft
power," said Virgin spokeswoman Stacy Geagan. "As a Virgin-branded
airline, we liked that kind of showmanship. But at the end of the day, the
decision involves significant investment and significant dollars. And
although residential real estate is very expensive in your area, we found
quite reasonable rates for the commercial real estate we require."
   Moreover, California and San Francisco offered Virgin more than $15
million in state and local employment training grants, cooperative
marketing and other incentives.
   The Bay Area's bid started late last year when Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger
telephoned Branson and personally lobbied for California.
   Then, Schwarzenegger directed the state labor department to free up
employment training funds for Virgin, streamlined the permit process and
asked the California Commission for Jobs and Economic Growth to coordinate
the state's bid. The commission, according to Executive Director Mark
Mosher, acts as "the governor's marketing department."
   The bid also attracted pro bono work by the San Francisco architectural
firm Heller Manus, which drew up plans for an office building and flight
simulator facility in Millbrae, according to David Crane, a special
adviser to the governor on jobs and economic growth.
   The effort also pulled in San Francisco investment banker Peter Luchetti,
who presented costing models to Virgin executives and helped coordinate
the dollars and cents side of the bid, Crane said.
   The San Mateo County Economic Development Association pitched the benefi=
ts
of dipping into the large pool of experienced airline workers who had been
laid off during the economic downturn and cost-cutting efforts by existing
airlines.
   Back in February, Newsom welcomed executives from Virgin USA, which runs
Branson's American companies, to SFO. He made a marketing pitch and
co-hosted a lunch at the airport, where the Virgin team was greeted in the
lobby by a bevy of teenage cheerleaders wearing red, the trademark color
of the Virgin group.
   That same night, representatives from San Mateo County, the state, the
airport and the city mounted a charm offensive for Virgin executives by
throwing a cocktail party at the home of state Sen. Jackie Speier (D-
Hillsborough).
   "I've only been in elective office for eight years, but this was the most
unique collaboration between business and government I have seen," Newsom
said.
   Newsom and Supervisor Aaron Peskin -- who had been at political odds with
Newsom and was then head of the board's Finance Committee -- rode to
Speier's party together "to present a united front," Crane said.
   It worked.
   "The community input, with the state, county, city and airport all pulli=
ng
together, was impressive," Geagan said. Plus, she added, Virgin executives
liked the Bay Area's "openness, eclecticism and creativity. We will be
hiring a lot of people from this community, and that's the attitude that
is associated with the Virgin brand worldwide."
   More pragmatically, having one branch of the airline on the West Coast a=
nd
another on the East Coast, both in major tourist markets, will help the
company build its national route structure, she said.
   The bid succeeded in spite of the widespread perception that California
and the Bay Area are anti-business, Geagan said.
   "In the beginning, people might have thought that. But we found the city
and state very open to business. They do have an issue with reputation
management."
   The deal is something of a coup for SFO, which has been hit hard by the
high-tech slump, the war in Iraq and post-Sept. 11 fear of flying.
   "We're thrilled," said Airport Director John Martin. "We have got the
capacity in the international terminal to get them up and running early
next year. We see very rapid growth, great service and lower fares. Virgin
is a perfect fit for San Francisco, a cutting-edge city."
   E-mail David Armstrong at davidarmstrong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx --------------=
Copyright 2004 SF Chronicle