everal airlines raise fares to offset fuel prices

everal airlines raise fares to offset fuel prices  =

 =

 =

  =

Wednesday May 19, 4:07 PM EDT =

NEW YORK, May 19 (Reuters) - Several U.S. airlines on Wednesday announced=
 fare hikes to offset soaring jet fuel prices, following Continental Airl=
ines' announcement a day earlier to do the same.

Continental Airlines (CAL) on Tuesday raised fares worldwide to counter f=
uel costs, which have reached 13-year highs in the past month. The airlin=
e also warned of a loss in the second quarter and a "significant loss for=
 2004 and beyond."

Analysts, on average, were expecting a profit of 4 cents for the second q=
uarter, and a loss of 90 cents for the year, according to Reuters Researc=
h, a unit of Reuters Group, Plc.

The Houston-based carrier also said it may have to consider additional fu=
rloughs, wage and benefit concessions and reduced pension funding for emp=
loyees. It shares fell 3.3 percent, to $9.48 on Wednesday.

 =

United Airlines, which on Wednesday matched Continental's price increase =
of $10 each way for flights up to 1,000 miles and $20 each way for flight=
s over 1,000 miles, said high jet fuel prices were keeping the bankrupt a=
irline from reaching profitability. "If not for fuel prices, I'd be able =
to say we'd be profitable this quarter," Glenn Tilton, the chief executiv=
e of UAL Corp. (UALAQ), said at an event in New York. UAL shares were up =
4.9 percent at $1.08.

The price for May jet fuel jumped 9 cents on Wednesday to $1.38 per gallo=
n in the Los Angeles spot market because of an increase in the NYMEX heat=
ing oil contract and refiner buying, traders said.

Northwest Airlines (NWAC), the No. 4 U.S. airline, said it has selectivel=
y matched the increase as well. "We have selectively matched Continental'=
s price increase on fares that we offered to compete with low-cost carrie=
rs," a spokeswoman said. Its shares were off 2.6 percent at $9.

Delta Air Lines (DAL), the No. 3 U.S. carrier, said it has also matched C=
ontinental's hike. It shares were up 0.4 percent at $5.17.

American Airlines (AMR), the world's largest carrier, earlier this month =
also increased fares to help offset a rise in fuel prices. It shares fell=
 2.7 percent to $10.54.

Several airlines tried earlier this year to add fuel surcharges. But with=
 relatively weak demand, the hiked fares failed to stick. "This industry =
is seemingly incapable of transferring skyrocketing fuel prices to passen=
gers," Tilton said, hoping that the increases will stick this time around=
=2E

Low-cost carrier Southwest Airlines (LUV) said it could consider raising =
fares but JetBlue Airways (JBLU) said it did not plan to do so. Southwest=
 shares dipped 0,8 percent to $14.77. JetBlue shares were up 0.9 percent =
at $27.21.

Wall Street analysts remain optimistic about the performance of low-cost =
airlines.

"We strongly favor low-fare carriers, most of whom are well hedged, and a=
ll of whom should maintain profitability despite high fuel prices and a w=
eak revenue environment," Lehman Brothers analyst Gary Chase wrote in a r=
esearch note.

Jet fuel makes up 12 to 14 percent of airlines' operating costs and is th=
eir second-biggest operating expense after labor. =

=A92004 Reuters Limited. =

Roger
EWROPS