Re: US Airways and Eastern USA

At 11:20 AM 5/10/2004, you wrote:
>Hi Everyone,
>
>With the recent report that US has to get more concessions from it's
>unions and/or sell-off assets, how viable do you think it's future is?
>If we all try to live in reality, how realistic is it they're going to
>make it?

The hill they have to climb is massive, and the slope is
getting steeper. While there is a lot of fear about
WN at US, there's precious little evidence that they know
how to deal with the low cost threat. (Note: Not low fare, low
cost, low fare is a result of low cost, not the effect :-)

USAirways had the past 12-18 months to fix things, before
they started to see the price and capacity pressure that's
now arrived at PHL. Frankly, they didn't do much that positions
them to resist the market forces that are going to show up.

>Also, if they do go out of business, what do you think will happen to
>the market in the eastern United States? Who's in a position to pick up
>the business from US's departure from the market place? AA? CO?=20
That's a tough question. Some of the market goes over to the low cost
players, and that's that. If US vanishes from PHL, you have to imagine
that WN will be one of the major players to fill in the void. CO's limited
in thier options, with the EWR hub up the turnpike, as, to an extent are
AA and DL with thier extensive NY operations. UAL has slightly better
separation
with the hub down at Dulles, but they've got plenty of trouble to sort out
already.

You'll notice that only a few of the east coast cities operate as real
hubs. BOS,
JFK, LGA, BWI, IAD, RDU, are more gateway/focus city operations.
EWR and ATL are closer to full hubs, and MIA falls somewhere in between.

I'd expect to see a real cherry picking of the parts of US' franchise. Someone
will grab the LGA based shuttle, it's too good to ignore. (AA is the obvious
candidate, although CO would be glad to have it)

It is less clear to me who would want the rest. I can see folks like AA and UA
and the low cost carriers all filling in some of the capacity at PHL and maybe
CLT. One of the problems is that US sort of does three things. They've got
a lot of short haul stuff on the east coast, a fair bit of long haul
flying west, and a presence across the Atlantic. I'd think a lot of the
short haul stuff gets eaten up by some combination of the local
low cost boys. (JetBlue, Airtran, Southwest) and some by the
regional jet operations of the hub/spoke carriers.

What's harder to see is how much international flying out of
PHL would remain, in a rationalized world. Without the (money losing)
major hub, is there enough O+D traffic to justify many of the
current destinations. Similar questions pertain to CLT.

>Personally, I think CO's in a good position with EWR and (not too far
>away) CLE to pick-up much of the slack. AA may not do so badly with big
>ops at JFK, BOS and MIA.

Proximity is going to be an issue. I'd expect to PHL become less of a hub,
while not
necessarily losing traffic. WN and the low cost folks tend to drive
traffic, just not
connecting traffic. It might well be much harder to get a non-stop to
smaller domestic and international
markets, however.

>I'd like to hear your thoughts.
>

>Clay - SEA