Re: [orders] A lively airplane rivalry ahead

looking at the USA airlines, I think AA is the forerunner to make a 7E7 order to replace their aging A300s. UA and CO are content with their 767 & 777 fleet. US may not be around, and they're leaning toward Airbus with the A330, as well as, NW. DL can't figure out how to handle their pilots and their mixed widebody fleet of MD11s, 767, and 777s.

kr
-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Klug <j_2h@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Apr 30, 2004 4:23 AM
To: orders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [orders] A lively airplane rivalry ahead

Lots of interesting tidbits in this article - especially the number
of 7e7 delivery slots.

- Jim

Friday, April 30, 2004

A lively airplane rivalry ahead
'An interesting battle' between Boeing, Airbus

By JAMES WALLACE
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER AEROSPACE REPORTER

EVERETT -- The chief executive of one of Boeing's best customers
expects a lively competition in the coming years between the 7E7 and
the Airbus A330-200.

"It will be an interesting battle, and my prediction is that Airbus
will win some contests and Boeing will win some others," said Steven
Udvar-Hazy, chairman and chief executive of International Lease
Finance Corp., one of the world's biggest leasing companies

"And it will be beneficial to the airlines because there will be two
strong products," said Hazy, who was at Paine Field yesterday to take
delivery, along with Air France, of the first of Boeing's longer
range 777-300ER jets. Air France is leasing the plane from ILFC.

The midsize Airbus A330-200 will be the main competitor to the 7E7,
which is scheduled to enter service in 2008. The Airbus plane has
been in operation with airlines since the late 1990s and has been
taking significant widebody market share from Boeing and its slow-
selling 767.

The 7E7 will be a replacement for the 767, as well as for older jets
such as the A300 and A310 and even Boeing's 757.

"I think the program will get off to a good start," Hazy said of the
7E7. "I'm confident Boeing will get additional orders this year from
some high-profile customers. And then the momentum will go from there
and we will see how Airbus responds."

ILFC was one of the launch customers for the A330-200.

Boeing is wooing the leasing giant to be a launch customer for the
7E7 this year.

"They are trying," Hazy said of Boeing.

He said Boeing sent a large team down to visit ILFC, which is based
in Los Angeles, last Friday. And earlier this week, Boeing commercial
boss Alan Mulally had dinner with Hazy in Beverly Hills, Calif.

Boeing officially kicked off development of the 7E7 on Monday with a
50-plane order from All Nippon Airways of Japan.

"The ANA order will obviously increase the momentum," Hazy said.

But Hazy said it was premature to say whether ILFC will be a launch
customer for the 7E7. The leasing giant is talking with a number of
airlines that would likely lease the new Boeing jet as part of any
order.

ILFC has about 75 customers who lease Boeing and Airbus widebody jets.

"We are doing a lot of analysis," Hazy said. "We are talking to a lot
of our customers."

He said Airbus also has an agenda.

"They would like to sell us more A330-200s. So it will be an
interesting competition."

Since 1977, ILFC has bought about 600 jets from Boeing. It is also a
key Airbus customer.

Hazy named several airline campaigns now under way that could
possibly produce launch orders for the 7E7. He mentioned Singapore,
Emirates, China Airlines and China Southern.

"There is increasing interest and the rest of this year will see a
lot of activities," Hazy said.

Initial delivery slots could be hard to come by. Boeing said
yesterday that it has just 92 delivery positions available though
2009.

Boeing Chief Executive Harry Stonecipher said Tuesday that Boeing
could have at least 100 total launch orders for the 7E7 by year's end.

Boeing has said it has made 7E7 offers to at least a couple U.S.
airlines. But Hazy does see anyone stepping up and ordering the plane
this year. Airlines in this country are still trying to recover
financially from the industry's worst downturn.

"The interest in the 7E7 is different than on past widebody
programs," Hazy said.

"Historically, the major U.S. airlines were an integral part of any
launch of a Boeing or Douglas plane. This time around, we are seeing
the biggest amount of interest in Asia and a considerable interest in
Europe and the Middle East.

"But the U.S. carriers obviously have some short-term issues they
have to deal with. Even though they like the (7E7), they like its
capabilities, from a financial point of view, I don't think this year
they are ready to make major commitments."

This week, Mike Bair, senior vice president of the 7E7 program, said
Boeing will have made proposals to airlines by the end of May that
total about 500 7E7s. Many of those orders could be finalized by the
time the 7E7 makes its first flight in 2007, he said.

But Hazy said reaching that goal depends on what happens in the North
American market.

"If the North American market continues to be sluggish, and under
financial pressure, then the 500 planes would be difficult to
achieve," he said.

Airbus claims that it is not worried about the 7E7. Airbus argues
that its planes can carry more passengers and that that offsets
Boeing's technological advantage of a newer plane with a mostly
composite structure.

Airbus has said it will wait for the new 7E7 engines to be developed
and then use them on its A330-200.

"I assume Airbus will incorporate some improvements into the A330 as
time moves on," Hazy said. "How radical those improvements will be is
a question of how successful the 7E7 will be. But I don't expect
Airbus to just watch the show go by without doing something."

Initially, Hazy expects Airbus to try to win A330-200 orders on
pricing.

"By the time the 7E7 comes out, all of the research and development
costs of the A330-200 will have been paid for," he said.

Airbus also has the advantage that its plane is already in the market
place, he said. Even though Boeing won the All Nippon order easily,
Hazy predicted that other order campaigns will be hard fought.

"Boeing is going to win many of those campaigns," he said. "But
Airbus is going to fight back. They are just not going to sit on the
sidelines. And customers will benefit from the competition. It will
make Boeing sharper and Airbus sharper. It is good for all of us."

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/j2LplB/TM