SFGate: US Airways loses $177 million but revenue increases

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/news/archive/2004/04/27/f=
inancial1024EDT0065.DTL
Tuesday, April 27, 2004 (AP)
US Airways loses $177 million but revenue increases
MATTHEW BARAKAT, AP Business Writer

   (04-27) 07:24 PDT ARLINGTON, Va. (AP) --
   US Airways lost $177 million in the first three months of 2004 despite an
11 percent increase in revenue over the year-ago quarter, and the
airline's new president again warned of the need to cut costs to survive.
   The $3.28-per-share loss compares with a profit of $1.64 billion, or
$24.02 per share, in the first quarter of 2003. But the year ago profit
was merely a paper tiger associated with the company's emergence from
Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in March of that year.
   The company's operating loss of $143 million in the first three months of
this year is a 31 percent improvement over the $207 million operating loss
in the year-ago quarter.
   The losses were also better than the estimated loss of $3.65 a share
predicted by a Wall Street analyst surveyed by Thomson First Call.
   Operating revenue increased 11 percent, from $1.53 million to $1.70
million, while operating costs increased 6 percent, from $1.74 billion to
$1.84 billion.
   The airline improved its performance on several key measures in the
industry, including cost per available seat mile, which dropped 3 percent
quarter to quarter for mainline jets, to 11.68 cents per seat mile,
including fuel. The improvement was even better excluding fuel, because
fuel costs increased by nearly 10 percent.
   But the airline has warned its unions that even more dramatic cost cuts
are necessary to compete with increased competition from low-fare carriers
like Southwest Airlines, which boast costs in the range of just 6 cents
per available seat mile.
   "Our results underscore the need for further changes," said US Airways
President and chief executive Bruce R. Lakefield. "While we are seeing
year-over-year improvement, we clearly have more to do to ensure long-term
success, and we must implement a new cost structure and a revenue plan
that allows us to return to profitability."
   Mainline revenue per available seat mile also increased 2 percent, from
$10.41 to $10.62.
   US Airways shares increased 11 cents, or 4.6 percent, to $2.50 in early
trading Tuesday on the Nasdaq Stock Market.

Copyright 2004 AP