NYTimes.com Article: Coffee, Tea and Fatigue: Airline Job Loses Its Allure

The article below from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@xxxxxxxxx

THE CLEARING - IN THEATERS JULY 2 - WATCH THE TRAILER NOW

An official selection of the 2004 Sundance Film Festival, THE CLEARING
stars ROBERT REDFORD and HELEN MIRREN as Wayne and Eileen Hayes - a
husband and wife living the American Dream. Together they've raised two
children and struggled to build a successful business from the ground
up. But there have been sacrifices along the way. When Wayne is
kidnapped by an ordinary man, Arnold Mack (WILLEM DAFOE), and held for
ransom in a remote forest, the couple's world is turned inside out.
Watch the trailer at: http://www.foxsearchlight.com/theclearing/index_nyt.html

Coffee, Tea and Fatigue: Airline Job Loses Its Allure

April 20, 2004
 By JOE SHARKEY

Long, long gone are the good old days, when flight
attendants with indelible smiles donned white gloves to
serve dinner on fine china. Today, as airlines battle
furiously over fares while desperately cutting costs, the
flight attendant's job on major airlines has gone from
glamour to grind.

"We're tired," said George Price, a flight attendant for 20
years. "We're worn out. Every day we get reports of flight
attendants working completely fatigued. First and foremost,
that contributes to a safety issue. And yes, it does also
diminish the level of customer service that we provide."

Mr. Price is the spokesman for the Association of
Professional Flight Attendants, the union that represents
19,500 working flight attendants and an additional 5,760
furloughed ones at American Airlines.

American's flight attendants have one more reason to be
unhappy these days, and it has to do with a memorandum from
an American regional executive who basically told them they
were doing a crummy job.

The internal memo - which was first reported by The Dallas
Morning News last week - was written by John M. Tiliacos,
American's Northeast regional managing director. It was
addressed to all American flight attendants in the
Northeast.

Noting that fierce competition from low-fare carriers
"threatens our survival," Mr. Tiliacos wrote: "I thought I
would share with you some 'eye-opening' feedback we've
received from some of our corporate accounts."

Basically, he wrote, corporate travel managers whose
decisions are "worth millions of dollars in revenue to
American" have been telling American executives that "you
are making it very difficult for us to make our people fly
A.A. because of your poor service."

Travel managers say they "are being pressured by their
employees to seek an alternate carrier to do business with,
instead of American," Mr. Tiliacos wrote, adding:
"Customers have told us repeatedly that were it not for our
extensive global network, our schedule frequency and our
AAdvantage program, they would likely choose another
airline to serve their needs, because they are dissatisfied
with our overall service and lack of consistency."

Mr. Tiliacos's memo enumerated a long list of complaints he
said business travelers have been making about American
flight attendants.

Among them, according to the memo: "Flight attendants are
not enthusiastic, friendly or helpful." They gripe in front
of passengers about "internal issues" like "minimum rest,
crew meals and salary reductions." They make poor first
impressions and do not greet passengers by name. Passengers
"are afraid to ask for anything" because flight attendants
"seem annoyed" at requests.

"Flight attendants should consider each flight as a client
meeting," the memo quoted one corporate client as
suggesting.

Near the end of his memo, Mr. Tiliacos said, "My purpose in
sharing this feedback with you is to solicit your help" in
changing such perceptions.

A company memo that infuriates its recipients is bound to
get wider distribution than the intended receiver list. The
memo was quickly posted on a deliciously subversive Web
site, InternalMemos.com, that publishes texts of many
company memos that the boss would probably just as soon
remain internal.

"When you distribute an insulting memo like that to 5,000
flight attendants, there's going to be somebody angry
enough to get it to the press," Mr. Price, the union
spokesman, pointed out.

American Airlines, interestingly enough, hasn't gone into
hiding to avoid the furor created by the memo. An American
spokeswoman, Jacquie Young, said: "It was an internal
letter to provide feedback on what some of our customers
are saying. We try to be direct and honest with our
employees. I would add that the majority of our flight
attendants do a superb job on every flight every day."

At the flight attendants' union, angry phone calls and
e-mail messages "reflect an overall level of disgust that I
have never seen before," Mr. Price said.

Considering what flight attendants have gone through in
recent years, that's quite a statement.

Let me interject here that dissatisfaction about
inattentive and sometimes unfriendly flight attendants has
grown in recent years, especially on major airlines. At the
same time, low-fare airlines (many of which are hiring
flight attendants, incidentally) have become well known
among business travelers for friendly in-flight service,
even if they don't bring you dinner.

I'll follow up with reader reaction to this in a future
column. (Let me start by saying that I fly Continental
Airlines out of Newark for most domestic trips, and in my
opinion Continental's flight attendants fully live up to
their reputation for providing good, friendly service).

In the meantime, though, I think Mr. Price's views deserve
careful consideration in any discussion about in-flight
service on the major airlines.

"Our flight attendants stepped up to the plate" almost
exactly a year ago, when American was granted $340 million
in concessions by the attendants, he said. "The feelings
about having to do that are still very raw, but over that
same period of time we have seen innumerous awards for
exemplary customer service."

American's flight attendants, he argued, do the best they
can under deteriorating work conditions. "One of the
concessions we made was to allow them to reduce our
layovers, if needed, to as little as eight hours" between
flights, he said. The eight-hour layover, which he said is
now standard on some routes, begins 15 minutes after
arrival at the gate and ends an hour before departure the
next day. Given travel time from airport to hotel and back,
that can effectively be a five- or six-hour layover, he
said.

Another concession: Flight attendants don't get meals any
more. "You can literally go 12 to 15 hours with no food.
You can fly from Dallas to Tokyo and not get a meal unless
you brought something yourself."

Pay cuts, lousy hours, bad sleep patterns, hunger,
unappreciative bosses, grouchy customers - all in an
industry that's losing billions. Right now, "there's no way
you can work to 100 percent capacity," Mr. Price said.

On the Road appears each Tuesday. E-mail:
Jsharkey@xxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/20/business/20road.html?ex=1083467241&ei=1&en=5487b184048df11f