Re: Spain's crown prince in snit at MIA

>         Members of the prince's entourage called the required inspection
of their
> private belongings an ''insult'' and ''humiliating'' -- sparking a
> diplomatic flap that has the United States and Spain on the brink of a
> protocol war.
Too bad.  If I, as a citizen of this country, must be inspected, then
foreigners not travelling on official state business need to be inspected
too.

>         Crowning it off, Iberia Airlines, the prince's carrier of choice,
is
> suggesting it might pull out of the airport, according to two sources
close
> to the international incident.
They were threatening this long before Prince Buffo came along.

>         Now, Miami-Dade Mayor Alex Penelas has sent the Prince of
Asturias, next in
> line for the throne, an apology, saying he's asked for an investigation
into
> what went wrong.
The mayor is an IDIOT! Just because this guy is a prince doesn't give him
any special privleges.  If he doesn't wan to be inspected, fly on a private
aircraft.

>         Whether the prince gave U.S. diplomatic officials enough notice of
his
> arrival is at the heart of the problem.
>         The U.S. State Department requires 72 hours notice to arrange for
expedited
> security screening in a private area. The prince's people called with six
> hours notice.
>         When members of the royal party were told that they and their
carry-ons
> would have to be searched -- just like the masses -- the royal flap
erupted.
>         ''We're your allies!'' one member of the royal delegation shouted
in
> Spanish to inspectors at a particularly tense moment.
Then follow the rules, you Royal Stupidness.

>         The need by the princess-to-be to go the powder room caused
another
> flare-up. Ortiz was told her already-searched purse would be searched
again
> on her return from the nonsecure area. She decided to hold it.
>         That sparked more angry words and exchanges, delaying the process
and
> making the entire royal party late for the flight, which waited.
>         At one point, Milton Oribe, Iberia's station manager, said he
would ignore
> the required screening, come what may, witnesses said.
>         Oribe also offered to vouch for the prince and his entourage,
adding that
> he would see to it that the Spanish carrier withdrew from MIA, according
> witnesses on the scene.
Gee.  Wish I could get someone to vouch for me.

>         Mayor Penelas, calling the brouhaha a ''lamentable situation,''
immediately
> sent a letter of apology to the the royal family and pointed out those
doing
> the screening were federal employees.
Again, the mayor is an idiot for sending an apology.