SFGate: Coast-to-coast comparison: Flying the frugal skies

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/chronicle/archive/2004/04=
/04/TRG2E5U5681.DTL
Sunday, April 4, 2004 (SF Chronicle)
Coast-to-coast comparison: Flying the frugal skies
Jane Engle, Los Angeles Times

   Time was, Southwest was the only discount airline most people knew. No
more. The "bus of the skies" has a host of imitators, all promising low
fares and high fun.
   Now the question is this: Who really delivers?
   To find out, I recently rode four self-proclaimed low-cost carriers --
Delta's Song, JetBlue, United's Ted and Southwest -- plus United on a
cross- country barnstorming tour to compare service, entertainment
options, food, comfort levels, fares and more.
   My main impression of these five: Song was a standout, with its cheerful=
ly
corny crew, wacky color scheme and gourmet food. JetBlue pulled up second.
As for the rest, I found little difference in the flying experience --
   or sometimes even fares -- from one to the next.
   I chose a route that would take me from Los Angeles to the East Coast and
back: Song from Los Angeles International Airport to Orlando, Fla.;
JetBlue from Orlando to Boston; United from Boston to Denver; Ted from
Denver to Las Vegas; and Southwest from Las Vegas to LAX.
   This was not a scientific sampling, certainly. Trip legs varied from 4 1=
/2
hours on Song and United to an hour on Southwest. I wasn't able to taste
full menus on all flights. Even within the same airline, different crews
may give different service. Fares, of course, shift constantly.
   So I can report only what I found on my flights, detailed in the order
flown:.
   Song
   Delta launched this low-cost carrier last April on a fashionable note:
Kate Spade designer crew duds, organic buy-on-board menu by former W Hotel
chef Michel Nischan and seatback TVs. All this plus extra legroom.
   The airline shuttles mainly between the Northeast and Florida but also
flies nonstop to Florida from the West, including Los Angeles. Its
promise, on its Web site: "The song is personal. It's unique. Memorable.
And brings a smile to your face."
   It does just that, for the most part. The LAX gate crew for my morning
Song nonstop to Orlando was subdued. But at 54B next door, a Song agent
regaled -- or tormented -- his captive audience with jokes such as: "Knock
knock." "Who's there?" "Shelby." "Shelby who?" "Shelby coming around the
mountain when she comes."
   Inside the squeaky-clean B757 cabin, where the color scheme was bright
blue with lime, purple and orange accents, the good humor carried through
to the safety audio, set to salsa music.
   "You're lucky," the crew told us: We were on one of the first Song planes
to be wired for live satellite TV, with 24 channels.
   You pay for food, and it's not cheap. But my gourmet vegan sandwich, a 7-
inch-diameter lavash stuffed with grilled vegetables, tofu and rice, was
worth the $8, and the Song Sunrise (vodka, orange juice and a splash of
cran-apple), $5, wasn't bad either.
   Neither was my one-way fare: $129.10 (including taxes), the lowest in the
market the day I booked it..
   JetBlue
   This 4-year-old, New York-based carrier has enjoyed a meteoric rise,