able to find a bulk fare ticket through Panda Travel in Honolulu on
American Airlines.  The flight times were not as good as United's but
they were acceptable, so I went with it.

Monday, March 22, 2004

American Airlines flight 3028
operated by American Eagle
From: Monterey, CA (MRY)
To: Los Angeles, CA (LAX)
Scheduled: 1235-1359
Actual: 1232-1356
Saab 340B
N344SB
Seat 5A

This would be my first time flying American Eagle out of Monterey; both
of my previous trips out of MRY were on SkyWest/United Express.  Arrived
at the Monterey airport a few minutes after 1100.  I headed to the
American Eagle counter to check in.  There were a couple of people ahead
of me, and while I was waiting a TSA agent took the suitcase I was
checking to screen it.  The agent who checked me in appeared to be on
the phone waiting to resolve another passenger's issue, so he checked me
in pretty quickly without many words.

After completing check in I put my cell phone and other items into my
backpack, and removed my laptop, in preparation to clear security.  I
went through with no problems.  My laptop had an extra quick inspection,
no problems there either.

I sat down next to gate 6 and waited for boarding.  The aircraft
arrived, passengers disembarked and a few minutes later boarding
started.  All passengers were invited to board at the same time, in
spite of the "Group 3" designation on my boarding pass.

The last time I had flown American Eagle's Saab 340 was in 1998, between
San Diego and Los Angeles.  The seat fabric looked like it was in a
little better shape than in 1998; a different pattern as well.  The
overhead bins were bigger than I remembered, but still small and not as
useful as those on the EMB-120 and Dash 8.

The engines were started and we pulled away from the gate at 1232.  The
audio portion of the safety demonstration was prerecorded, and the
flight attendant's demonstration was not well synchronized with the
audio; she tended to demonstrate something before the audio was talking
about it.

We taxied to runway 28L, holding short of the runway for a few moments
to allow a business jet to land.  We took position at the end of the
runway, and held position as the engines were brought to full power.
The brakes were released and our takeoff roll began with a jolt.  At
1237 the Saab was airborne.

It was overcast in Monterey, but after a few moments we cleared the
marine layer on our way up to our cruising altitude of 19,000 feet.
When it was safe the flight attendant began preparing the beverage
service, which was a choice of beverage accompanied by a cheddar cheese
flavored snack mix.  I selected cranberry apple juice and was given a
not-quite-full cup.

After the drink I looked through the American Way magazine.  Eventually
we began our descent into LAX.  We flew out past downtown; I spotted
Dodger Stadium during our downwind leg.  We made a 180° turn back
towards LAX, and I spotted a jet (perhaps a 767) making a parallel
approach, but it was too distant for me to make out exactly the type or
airline.  The skies were clear over downtown, but the coast including
LAX were shrouded in marine layer fog.

We touched down on runway 24R at 1349.  We held short of 24L to wait for
one of Air New Zealand's Lord of the Rings 747-400s to depart.  I didn't
catch the registration but it was the aircraft featuring Legolas and
Aragorn.  I also noticed Qantas' Wunala Dreaming 747 parked west of the
Tom Bradley terminal among other Qantas aircraft.  The aircraft taxied
to the American Eagle terminal and parked at gate 44C.  We disembarked
and I headed for the bus to terminal 4.

During the bus ride, I noticed an Aviacsa 737-200 waiting to cross
runway 25R after landing.  Once the bus arrived at terminal 4 we
disembarked.  There was an agent checking boarding passes and IDs before
the escalator up to the gates themselves.  Once upstairs, I stopped at
Burger King for lunch, then headed over to gate 47B to await my flight
to Honolulu.  I arrived at the gate just in time to watch a MD-80 board
for a flight to San Francisco.

Other interesting aircraft I saw while waiting to board included Air
Tahiti Nui A340-300 F-OSUN, a Swiss A340, and a JAL Cargo 747 in new colors.

American Airlines flight 297