NYTimes.com Article: US Airways Presses Its Plea for Pay Cuts

The article below from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@xxxxxxxxx

THE DREAMERS - IN SELECT CITIES

Set against the turbulent political backdrop of 1968 France
when the voice of youth was reverberating around Europe, THE
DREAMERS is a story of self-discovery as three students test
each other to see just how far they will go. THE DREAMERS
is now playing in select theaters.
for more info:
http://www.foxsearchlight.com/thedreamers/index_nyt.html

US Airways Presses Its Plea for Pay Cuts

March 25, 2004
 By MICHELINE MAYNARD

US Airways faces a threat to its survival from Southwest
Airlines, soon to invade its Philadelphia hub, and needs to
clinch a third round of labor contract concessions quickly,
the airline's chief executive said yesterday.

Speaking to employees on a Web telecast that resembled an
infomercial at times and a sermon at others, the chief
executive, David N. Siegel, said formal contract talks
would begin next month.

Only the pilots' union has agreed to open negotiations.
Yesterday, the machinists' union reiterated its stand
against more cuts in wages and benefits. The flight
attendants' union, which opposes further concessions,
declined to comment.

The airline held the unusual broadcast, accessible online,
in an effort to convince employees of its dire situation
and the need to fix it. "I don't want to start burning the
furniture, but we may have to burn the furniture to keep
warm," Mr. Siegel said. "We don't have a lot of time and we
don't have a lot of choices."

Mr. Siegel, dressed in a dark suit and yellow tie, stood
alone before an audience of 75 airline employees, many in
their uniforms, while graphics and talking points flashed
on flat-screen monitors behind him.

A federal loan board agreed this month to revise conditions
of $900 million in guaranteed loans, which the airline
obtained when it emerged from bankruptcy protection a year
ago. Without the revisions, the airline would have been in
default.

Mr. Siegel said the move gave the airline a reprieve but
stressed US Airways still had to address its costs. Mr.
Siegel reiterated the company's goal, made in recent
presentations to union leaders, to cut its overall costs to
6 cents a seat mile, the average for the industry's
low-fare carriers including Southwest and JetBlue Airways,
from a little over 10 cents.

He did not offer specifics on how the company planned to
achieve that, but reiterated that half the savings, or 2
cents a seat mile, needed to come from labor unions. Mr.
Siegel said he was willing to give up some of his own
compensation, and he appealed directly to employees to
consider the airline's future, regardless of union
officials' resistance to contract cuts.

"I don't think they should make that decision for us," Mr.
Siegel said. He said he respected union officials' views,
but added, "Our individual employees need to decide whether
or not to participate."

Even as he stressed the need to cut costs, Mr. Siegel
depicted Southwest as US Airways' biggest menace.

On May 9, Southwest, the biggest low-fare carrier, plans to
begin flights to six cities from Philadelphia, where US
Airways is the dominant airline, with 68 percent of daily
flights. Southwest is offering fares as low as $29 each
way, with none higher than $299 each way.

By contrast, US Airways in the past has charged last-minute
fares of $1,000 or more to cities where it offers the only
direct flights. It plans to match Southwest's fares to
cities where the two directly compete and has added more
flights on the routes that Southwest will fly.

The two airlines have faced off twice before, in California
and at Baltimore-Washington International Airport, where
Southwest has displaced US Airways as the lead carrier in
the last decade. Mr. Siegel warned of dire consequences if
that happens in Philadelphia.

"They beat us on the West Coast, they beat us in Baltimore,
and if they beat us in Philadelphia, they're going to kill
us," he said. "It's going to be a battle for our lives."

Stressing his point, a screen showed Southwest Airlines'
founder, Herbert D. Kelleher Jr., dressed as Uncle Sam,
pointing his finger, next to the words, "I want your job!"

"Let's not let Southwest take away our customers," Mr.
Siegel said, as he ended the broadcast. "Let's not let
Southwest take away our jobs. Let's not let Southwest take
away our future. Let's not let Southwest take away our
airline. Think about that."

A Southwest spokesman, Ed Stewart, said he was surprised to
hear Mr. Siegel dwell on Southwest. "To be sure, it's a
very competitive industry, but we're just coming there to
do what we do in all the cities where we fly, which is to
bring fares down."

He noted that AirTran, another low-fare airline already
serves Philadelphia, and Frontier Airlines will begin
service this spring.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/25/business/25air.html?ex=1081234464&ei=1&en=2ba26866c7334e67