Fwd: Low-cost airlines give lift to Oakland airport

--- In BATN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "3/16 Oakland Tribune" <batn@xxxx> wrote:
Published Tuesday, March 16, 2004, in the Oakland Tribune

Low-cost airlines give lift to airport

Growth continues in Oakland for seventh year, but crowds, longer lines
could keep trend in check

By Paul T. Rosynsky

Air travelers continued to flock to Oakland International Airport last
year, helping maintain a seven-year growth streak and the mantle of
fastest-growing airport in the Bay Area.

Despite ongoing roadway construction, peak-hour congestion and the
highest on-airport parking prices in the region, Oakland attracted
almost a million more passengers in 2003 than in 2002, Port of Oakland
officials say.

Oakland was the only Bay Area airport to see an increase this year and
brought the airport's total number of passengers to 13.5 million,
making it the second-busiest airport in the region.

The growth can be attributed to the increased popularity of low-cost
airlines such as South-west and JetBlue.  Both airlines have picked
Oakland as their Bay Area hubs, said Steve Grossman, airport director.

It also is a result of airlines doing a better job at filling seats on
departing planes, he said.

"It's another good year," Grossman said.  "Airlines are filling up
more seats on their existing flights."

While growth is good for the airport's financial stability, it could
hurt one of its best and most frequently advertised attributes:
convenience.

Additional passengers are beginning to make Oakland more difficult to
use.  Peak-time congestion results in traffic jams leading into the
airport and long lines at security check points.

As a result, Grossman said, airport officials are predicting slower
growth in the future, especially once construction begins on the
Terminal 2 expansion and a new parking garage.

"We're pretty full right now, and until we open the next phase of
expansion, our years of 7 percent to 10 percent growth will end,"
Grossman said.  "And frankly, I think that is a good thing because we
can't handle any more."

In fact, signs of Oakland's overuse are evident Sunday nights, when
traffic along Airport Drive is usually backed up to Hegenberger Road
and baggage from arriving flights is strewn throughout the terminal.

It is also evident in the parking prices charged to travelers seeking
to park on airport property.

Of the three airports in the Bay Area, Oakland charges the most, $17
per day for long-term parking.  San Francisco International Airport
charges $13 per day and Norman Y. Mineta [BATN: Aren't you supposed to
die first?] San Jose International Airport charges $15 per day.

"It's a function of demand," Grossman said of the parking rates.

In hopes of alleviating some congestion, the airport opened a new road
connecting Bay Farm Island to Airport Drive.  Originally dubbed the
"cross-airport roadway," the road recently was renamed the Ron Cowan
[BATN: Another undead political fixer] Expressway.  It traverses the
South and North fields, giving Alameda residents a direct link to the
airport.

The road's opening coincides with other improvements, including a new
bridge under Doolittle Drive allowing easy access to the airport from
98th Avenue.

While the Oakland airport struggles with growth, its competition is
struggling with how to attract it.

For example, San Francisco International suffered its third year of
declining passenger totals with a 6 percent decrease last year.  A
total of 28.8 million passengers used the Peninsula airport in 2003,
SFO officials said.

And in San Jose, 10.2 million passengers chose to fly to and from the
airport, the lowest number since at least 1999, said Rich Dressler, a
San Jose Airport spokesman.

Dressler pinned the lost passengers on a bad economy and lack of
low-cost airlines at the airport.

"The numbers between us and Oakland are really apples and oranges," he
said.  "Our services are difference and our market is different."
--- End forwarded message ---