Re: [Sky-1] RE: U.S. Airports Not Ready For Airbus A380, Says Lufthansa

Your take is wrong again Baha.  This is not some US vs. EU war over who has
the biggest jetliner in the sky.  If Boeing had built this flying pig there
would be the same problems with not enough land at airports to move taxiways.  A
lot of airport just can't create additional land to provide the necessary
clearances between runways and taxiways, taxiways and taxiways, taxiways/taxilanes
and terminals, etc.

We're talking a difference of about 50 feet of additional wingspan.  The
747's wingspan fortunately did not create as many problems for airports as the
A380 will.

What do you mean by your statement that RIC can't handle 747's?  Are you
talking runways lengths and widths, clearance limits between runways and taxiways,
taxiways and taxiways, taxiways/taxilanes and the terminal, or the fact that
they can't put a jetbridge on it at a gate?  Please specify why they can't
handle 747's yet seem to do so on diversions.  And there's one heck of a
difference between 747's causing minor inconvenience, if any at all, to the relatively
few flights that RIC has to major inconvenience to other operators at a
tremendously busy airport like LAX.  RIC is a pathetic example to use in this case.

Jose Prize
Fan of airports