Fwd: Concord opposes closing Buchanan Field airport

--- In BATN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "3/4 Contra Costa Times" <batn@xxxx> wrote:
Published Thursday, March 4, 2004, in the Contra Costa Times

Concord airport should stay open, council says

By Denis Cuff
Contra Costa Times

CONCORD -- The City Council is joining the revolt against a county
proposal to close the Buchanan Field airport and build houses there.

The City Council opposed the plan Tuesday, saying closing the airport
on the outskirts of Concord would hurt the local economy, environment
and regional air travel.

Council members also said county supervisors were high-handed in
seeking development proposals for the airport land without involving
the city most affected.

"The process is badly flawed," said Laura Hoffmeister, the Concord
vice mayor. "The county is telling us 'We're in the drivers' seat.
Hop in the back seat and come along for the ride.' This is not a
partnership."

The proposal has stoked harsh feelings between the county, the
airport owner and operator, and the city, which figures it would
provide public services for housing there.

City officials say if the 600-acre Buchanan Field is closed, the city
should lead in planning new uses.

County officials say they should plan development of a county
property.

County Supervisor Mark DeSaulnier of Concord said Wednesday he has
tried to enlist city participation in gauging developer interest in
the project.

City officials rebuffed him repeatedly, and declined to invite him to
the council meeting Tuesday night, he said.

"I'm willing to talk, but I think their minds are closed," DeSaulnier
said. "I think we have an obligation here to look at an opportunity
that could benefit the public."

DeSaulnier suggests relocating the airport would open up the Buchanan
site for homes to ease a housing shortage, as well as stores and a
sports complex.

Concord officials argue the airport is a valuable economic asset
generating jobs in transportation and other fields.

Many Central County businesses fly executives and consultants in and
out of Buchanan Field, officials say.

Hoffmeister questioned the wisdom of placing houses on airport land
downwind of oil refinery and chemical plants.

Pilots, Concord business leaders, and Reps. George Miller, D-Martinez
and Ellen Tauscher, D-Alamo, oppose the closure.

The council vote was 3-1 to oppose closure.

Councilman Susan Bonilla said she voted no to avoid intensifying
acrimonious feelings. Her vote doesn't mean she supports the closure,
she said.

The proposal faces an uphill struggle to win Federal Aviation
Administration approval, she said.

Contact Denis Cuff at 925-943-8267 or dcuff@xxxx
--- End forwarded message ---