NYTimes.com Article: On the Road: Airport Hurdles and the Nonflying Nuns

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@xxxxxxxxx

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

THE DREAMERS - NOW PLAYING

Set against the turbulent political backdrop of 1968 France when the
voice of youth was reverberating around Europe, THE DREAMERS is a story
of self-discovery as three students test each other to see just how far
they will go. THE DREAMERS is released uncut with an NC-17 rating.
Watch The Dreamers trailer at: http://www.thedreamers.com

On the Road: Airport Hurdles and the Nonflying Nuns

March 2, 2004
 By JOE SHARKEY

Several readers responded to an item on these pages last
week, wanting to know more about the new policy of the
Transportation Security Administration, which has tightened
penalties for those caught at airport security screening
stations with prohibited items - or an offensive attitude.

"Who defines attitude?" one caller asked, wondering if a
chance comment that a screener doesn't like could lead to a
hefty fine.

That's not a bad question. I'm thinking back to a couple of
months ago at a security station at the Nashville airport,
where a screener barked orders at me like a guard in a
maximum security prison. "You! Get your hands out of your
pocket! Stand over there! Right now!" she commanded.

"Sure thing," I replied. "But when you speak to me, I
expect you to be courteous and to say please and thank you,
O.K.?"

I passed through unimpeded and made a complaint to a
supervisor, who shrugged. "Oh, that's Pam," he said, "and
she's probably just having a bad day."

As I have said here many times, it has been my strong
impression in the last two years that the T.S.A. has
brilliantly replaced a work force of sullen, underpaid
screeners from private guard companies with a work force of
courteous, well-trained and decently paid employees who do
a generally terrific job running those checkpoints and
keeping people moving efficiently.

But give people authority and you always get a few Pams in
the mix. And the next time a Pam has a bad day and provokes
a stern but justifiable rebuke from a passenger, what's to
stop Pam from resorting to those new fines and other
sanctions? The T.S.A. says it will impose them not only for
inadvertent contraband in a carry-on bag but for offenses
such as "nonphysical" interference with screening, as it is
called in the Enforcement Sanction Guideline Policy
published last month by the agency.

A T.S.A. spokeswoman, Ann Davis, checked around last week
and gamely sought to define the "nonphysical interference"
charge for me, but it's a pretty subjective matter.

"Nonphysical interference? That is any conduct that
interferes with a screener's ability to do his or her
job,'' she said. "An example is a passenger directed to
secondary screening and they're verbally abusive, and the
screener has to shut down the checkpoint."

Fair enough. But it includes, she added, "any nonphysical
situation that in any way would interfere with the screener
and his or her ability to continue to work, or interfere
with their ability to do their jobs."

This is not to criticize Ms. Davis, who checked with
supervisors and tried to give me an honest explanation.
It's just to point out to business travelers slogging
through those airports that screeners suddenly have more
authority to bust you.

I'd like to hear from readers on this one. Has the airport
security experience been changing for the worse? Or do you
think security is well run, from a customer service
perspective?

Four Roman Catholic Carmelite nuns born in India might have
strong views on that, if they were uncharitable enough to
express them strongly, which they are not. Their experience
involved airline security, not the T.S.A.

"That was a not-so-pleasant experience of our trip. Hope no
one will have to go through what we went through," is
basically as far as Sister Tessy Pius would go, in a letter
she sent to parents of pupils at Mary Immaculate Queen
School in Lemoore, Calif., where she is the principal. The
letter explained why she and three nuns she was traveling
with on Jan. 2 were tossed off an American Airlines flight
awaiting departure to Fresno., Calif., from Dallas after
someone on board reported smelling - I kid you not -
sulfur. (Sister Tessy's school faxed the letter to me but
she didn't respond to a request for comment.)

All passengers were taken off the plane while it was
inspected. No problem was discovered and passengers were
allowed back on except for the four nuns, who were dressed
in their Carmelite habits: dark robes and the sort of
modern veils that many nuns adopted after Vatican 2.

An American Airlines representative "took our boarding
passes and made us wait in a corner," Sister Tessy wrote.
Asked why they were prohibited from boarding the plane, the
airline representative replied that "the crew members and
the pilot were uncomfortable taking us in and they did not
want us on the plane."

The representative "looked at our picture ID's and realized
that we were not just newcomers to the United States,"
Sister Tessy wrote. But still the nuns were not allowed on
the plane, which took off without them. The nuns, who were
recruited from a convent in India to teach and provide
social services at the small Catholic school, eventually
found another flight and got home six hours later than
expected, Sister Tessy said.

The nuns were returning from a Christmas visit to a convent
in Kansas. Lemoore is a town of about 20,000 in the San
Joaquin Valley near Fresno, Calif. The incident was
reported on Feb. 13 in The Fresno Bee.

According to an American Airlines spokesman, Carlo
Bertolini, the four nuns and two other passengers were
singled out for extra security inspection because they were
seated in the area where the sulfur smell was reported.
"Our policies prohibit discrimination of any kind," Mr.
Bertolini said. "This was not a discriminatory situation.
It was basically a miscommunication over the screening
process."

"Our customer relations department has sent them a letter,"
he said, "and apologized for the inconvenience they
experienced and for the miscommunication."

Last month, an American Airlines pilot created a media
ruckus when he addressed a plane full of passengers on a
flight bound for New York from Los Angeles. On the public
address system, the pilot asked those passengers who were
Christians to raise their hands, and suggested to those who
were not that they might want to discuss Christianity with
their fellow passengers.

American Airlines apologized for that incident.

On the
Road appears each Tuesday. E-mail: jsharkey@xxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/02/business/02road.html?ex=1079237699&ei=1&en=db3f49c91e316e9f

http://www.nytimes.com/ads/nytcirc/index.html

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@xxxxxxxxxxx or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company