Re: The Muse of Southwest

In a message dated 2/25/2004 5:32:09 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
silagi@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> Back in the good old days, PSA was no frills.  They had no seat assignments
> like WN and if you went and purchased your ticket at the airport, oh my god
> your ticket to get on board was a cash register reciept!   Herb took the PSA
> idea and refined it the rest is history.

It's all true...except the role of Herb was played by Lamar Muse, the first
President of Southwest who didn't take any crap from the likes of Braniff,
Texas International (what a joke) and Continental.  Lamar was fiesty, in your face
and the right type of leader this upstart Texas carrier needed to succeed.
After Muse left, Howard Putnam became President only to leave for Braniff and
bankruptcy.  Then Herb became President even though he worked for the airline
from day one as legal counsel.  You can read Lamar's version of the early days
of Southwest in his book "Southwest Passage"

RT Simpson
Phoenix

Fan of the Poor Sailors Airline & the one Baja & Charles hate!