Re: Media and investors see flaws in JetBlue strategy

DL has been accused several times of offering seats at below their cost.

I don't have the numbers at hand, (nor the time to find the precise
numbers), but it's a given that Delta's per-seat-mile cost is higher
than JetBlue's,

So Delta either matches or beats JetBlue's fare. (Delta matches
AirTran, Southwest and many others all the time.)

This frequently is done in tandem with increasing capacity.

Whether the fare on that particular route is above or below the the
actual cost, it's the capacity that frequently closes out the
competitor.

Delta offers a deluge of seats for the same routing at the same fare.

Now if you were a casual Expedia.com customer (not someone on this
list) and this popped up:

Delta   LAX-ATL $148 ("Delta, of course.")
JetBlue LAX-ATL $148 ("Who? Aren't they a start-up")

Who'd you choose?

(Mind you, rooting for the underdog airline is probably becoming a goal
in it self.)

I'd betcha that Delta has recently reduced their capacity on that run,
until AirTran starts to make some noise.

Just my comments and observations.

Matthew

http://www.redmac.ca - Getting Canadian's their Macintosh accessories
http://www.justaddanoccasion.com - Great gift ideas, featuring smoked