Re: American Airlines Flight 587

In a message dated 1/29/2004 9:35:16 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
gfoley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I am mildly shocked to realize that more than two years after the crash of
> this Airbus A300-600 there is no information from the NTSB on the accident.
>
> There has been a lot of speculation about the relation of this accident to
> the durability of composite structures in aircraft

As I recall there were two theories being investigated: 1) wake turbulance
caused by short spacing of a jumbo ahead of AA587; and 2) inappropriate rudder
movement for the speed of the aircraft.  Airbus claims they have warned all
operators that hard swings of the rudder above certain airspeeds can cause
catastrophic damage.  The "grassy knoll" crowd contends composites are to blame and
this wouldn't have happened if the tail assembly didn't have so many
composites.

As is always the case, it takes years of analysis and testimony before the
NTSB comes to issuing a final report.  I'd rather it be this way than some of
the kangaroo decisions handed down in other countries.

RT Simpson
Phoenix