Re: ATC Wannabies? (Atlanta)

Atlanta is unique for several reasons.

- Atlanta is usually thought as being 'way in the south-east', but in
actual fact it is in the far north-west corner of Georgia, just in the
foothills of the Appalachians.
- Atlanta is half-way from Detroit to Miami over-the-road
- Atlanta was the result of the intersection of several key railroads
lines, and is on the Atlantic side of the appalachians which was
crucial to it's growth.
- Key major Interstate Highways intersect around Atlanta. I75
(Detroit->Tampa and west FL coast), I85 (Key North-South east-coast
Interstate), plus I20, East-West (Carolina's to Dallas) so it has
always been a transportation hub.

As far as a location for an airport hub goes, it's got a lot of pluses.

And today 80-85% of the US population reside is within a two hour
flight of Atlanta.

The Atlanta airport was also smartly (and necessarily) re-built in the
late 70s/early 80s to truly permit a world-class airport.

Dallas is considerably "newer", and became AA's major hub only after it
truly moved out of New York due to high-taxes.

Matthew