NYTimes.com Article: Mesaba, Pilots Reach Tentative Contract

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@xxxxxxxxx

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

NOMINATED FOR 7 BROADCAST FILM CRITICS AWARDS

IN AMERICA has been nominated for 7 BFCA Awards including
Best Picture, Best Actress Best Director, Best Writer, Best
Young Actor/Actress, and Best Song. Ebert & Roeper give IN
AMERICA "Two Thumbs Way Up!"  Watch the trailer at:
http://www.foxsearchlight.com/inamerica

Mesaba, Pilots Reach Tentative Contract

January 11, 2004
 By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 7:10 a.m. ET

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Mesaba Airlines and its pilots reached
agreement on a tentative contract early Sunday, averting a
strike that could have threatened the regional carrier's
survival.

The agreement came after talks had stretched more than a
day past a strike deadline. No details were released.

Mesaba, which ferries passengers from rural areas to
Northwest Airlines' hubs in Minneapolis, Detroit and
Memphis, said it would resume nearly full operations on
Sunday.

Mesaba spokesman Dave Jackson declined to take questions
about the contract. The airline issued a statement praising
``the professionalism and contribution'' of its pilots.

Tom Wychor, head of the Mesaba unit of the Air Lines Pilots
Association, said the agreement puts Mesaba pilots in line
with their peers without putting the company at risk.

``This is a very competitive agreement for the pilots and
for the company,'' Wychor said. ``It's a good agreement.''

Before the agreement was reached, Mesaba canceled 73
flights for Sunday because of the uncertainty. Jackson said
those cancellations would stand but another 543 departures
were expected to go off as planned.

Both sides said no details of the agreement would be
released until it has been presented to pilots, a process
that could take 10 days or more.

Pay was a key issue. ALPA said about half of Mesaba's
pilots earn less than $35,000 for full-time work. Talks
dragged on for more than two years, and in October, 98
percent of the pilots authorized a strike.

Mesaba's only customer is Northwest Airlines, which owns 28
percent of the smaller carrier, provides its airplanes and
handles its reservations. About one in every 12 passengers
flies part of their trip on Mesaba. About 20 cities have no
air service other than Mesaba.

Mesaba said it needed to keep its costs flat to continue
flying for Northwest, which has another regional carrier,
Pinnacle Airlines. Pilots for both Northwest and Pinnacle
had said they would not fly new routes or larger planes to
make up for the strike.

Mesaba canceled all of Saturday's schedule, stranding many
travelers.

That included Tom Lee, of Queen Creek, Ariz.

Lee said he wasn't even aware a strike was looming until he
arrived at Minneapolis on Saturday afternoon from Phoenix
and found his connecting flight to Aberdeen, S.D.,
canceled. He was traveling to Aberdeen to be a pallbearer
at his best friend's funeral.

``They didn't tell me anything, nothing, when I checked in
this morning,'' said Lee, as he researched car rentals and
other flights. ``Northwest said I could get a refund if I
fly back today to Phoenix, but that doesn't get me to
Aberdeen.''

Lee said he would look at other options next time he visits
family and friends in South Dakota.

``I like Northwest, I fly them a lot,'' Lee said. ``But
this has got to make you question.''

^------

On the Net:

Mesaba Airlines: http://www.mesaba.com

Air
Line Pilots Association: http://www.alpa.org

Northwest Airlines: http://www.nwa.com

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/business/AP-Mesaba-Pilots.html?ex=1074839962&ei=1&en=2f6da9c9f8002cb8

http://www.nytimes.com/ads/nytcirc/index.html

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@xxxxxxxxxxx or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company