either San Francisco or Los Angeles, since that was cheaper.  But the
travel voucher made Delta SFO-HNL (San Francisco - Honolulu) by far the
cheapest option.

Thursday, December 18, 2003

Delta Air Lines
flight 219
SFO-HNL
Scheduled: 1730-2104
Actual: 1730-2045
767-432ER
N833MH
seat 48G

Arrived at the airport via the Monterey/Salinas Air Bus shortly after
1400.  Bus dropped me off curbside at Terminal 1 and I headed inside.
There was a couple of people waiting to use a kiosk and a short line for
agent assistance.  I went over to the kiosks and after a few moments a
Delta agent directed me to an available kiosk.  I checked myself in, and
when I had my bag the agent came over and checked my ID and tagged my
suitcase.  The line for security was quite long, and I hadn't had lunch
yet, so I wandered over to the landside food court and got a chicken
sandwich from Burger King.  From the food court, I managed to get photos
of a Midwest MD-80 in new colors, the AlaskaAir.com 737-400 and a Virgin
Atlantic A340, also in new colors.  After I was finished I went back to
the Concourse C checkpoint, and there was no line.  I went through
security with no trouble, didn't even need to take off my shoes this
time.  Went down to gate 46, there were only a couple of other people
there.  The windows were pretty dirty so I didn't try for any more
photos; the only tempting aircraft was the Air France A340.

As time passed more people arrived, and the boarding area really filled
up when the aircraft arrived from Atlanta.  Some of the younger kids off
the flight were complaining to their parents that they had to wait
almost two hours before the flight to Honolulu would resume.

Announcements were made asking for volunteers to give up their seats if
needed, as the flight was oversold.  I had been planning on
volunteering, but my mind had changed by the time I arrived at SFO.  The
friend I was hoping to meet wasn't in town, and the weather forecast for
Friday had a 70% chance of rain, and rain at SFO is A Bad Thing.
Furthermore, they were not confirming passengers on the next day's
flight, but only granting "priority standby" status.  Delta would pay
for the hotel, and they sounded like they thought the people would be
able to get out the next day, but they couldn't guarantee it.  They were
honest by saying that the flights to Hawaii were pretty much full
through Christmas.  I decided under those conditions, I would keep my
seat as booked.

A little before 1700, boarding started.  A lot of people were waiting
near the door, I suspect those who had come in from Atlanta were hoping
they would be allowed to board first; but they were asked to board when
their row number was called.  As my seat was in the last row at the
window (row 49 only has center section seats) it wasn't too long before
I was able to board.  This was a Little Blue Bag/SkyDeli flight, and an
agent was in the jetway handing out the bags.  When I had made my
reservation, it was the only window seat available, and though I kept an
eye on the seat map via Delta's web site, I decided to keep it.  If
nothing else, it allowed me to recline the seat without feeling guilty
for limiting the space of the passenger behind me, since there wasn't
one.  As boarding progressed, the plane filled up.  I did notice a
person who had talked to the gate agents about giving up her seat board
the plane, so either she didn't in the end, or not many volunteers were
needed, if any.

At exactly 1730, right on time, our aircraft pushed back from the gate.
  As the engines were started, I detected a faint odor of jet fuel.  The
safety video was shown and we made our way out to 28L for departure.  At
1743 we were airborne.  After a few minutes of flight, a preview for the
inflight movie, Seabiscut, was shown, and flight attendants came through
offering headsets.  Instead of paying $5 to rent those painful pneumatic
headsets, Delta now charges $2 to buy their dual-prong electric, clip
over the ear headsets, or you can use your own (or ones you had bought
on a previous flight) for free.  I had brought along the Aloha Airlines
headsets I had gotten in September and used those; aside from the color
they are the same as Delta's.  Flight attendants also came through with
a beverage service.

Not too much later, the movie started.  I decided not to watch it, in
favor of reading the book my brother had gotten me for my birthday:
"Poor Sailor's Airline: The Story of Kenny Friedkin's Pacific Southwest
Airlines".

So there I was, sitting on a Delta jet, listening to music on Aloha
headsets, and reading a book on PSA.

When I was hungry, I opened the Little Blue Bag and had dinner.  The
contents of the bag were a turkey sandwich, a bag of chips, a package of
Milano cookies, and a small bottle of Dasani water.  Not much different
than the first class dinner that was served on the same flight in June,
but with a little smaller portions.

After the movie, various short features were shown.  Some I watched,
while others I ignored in favor of the book.  Most notable was an
excerpt from the PBS documentary "Kitty Hawk: The Wright Brothers'
Journey of Invention".  There was also a second beverage service by the
flight attendants, this time with pretzels along with the drinks.

Eventually we began our descent.  It was dark and I had some trouble
figuring out our approach.  I was expecting to land on 4R like most
night time arrivals do, but for a while it looked like we might be
lining up for 8R.  But a couple minutes later I saw we were flying over
the reef runway and we did land on 4R.  As we rolled out we passed a
taxiing Atlas 747.  Touchdown at 2045.  We taxied to the gate, the most
notable aircraft I saw was the Royal Tonagn Airlines 757 parked at the
Ewa Concourse; the airline began weekly service from Tonga to HNL on
December 5th.  We parked at gate 21 and 2050 and disembarked.  I met my
family in the baggage claim area, got my bag, and went home.

Monday, January 5, 2004

Delta Air Lines
flight 314
HNL-SFO
Scheduled: 2230-0522
Actual: 2234-0455
767-432ER
N842MH
seat 42G

Time to go back to California.  With the added complexity of brining a
dog back for my aunt and uncle.

My family parked the car in the parking lot, and we carried my luggage
over to Lobby 4.  Checked bags went through the agriculture inspection.
  Since we had to deal with the dog, using the kiosk was out.  Went over
to the short but slow line to check in with an agent.  Took care of the
paperwork and paid for the dog's ticket to travel in the cargo
compartment, and checked in.  We took the dog over to the TSA for a
quick inspection, and as directed by the Delta agent we left him there.
  There was quite a line for security but it moved relatively quickly.
As we approached the front of the line I hugged my family good-bye and
went through, without much difficulty.

Made my way out to gate 23 to await boarding.  The aircraft was there
already.  There were also a line of people waiting to speak to the
agents at the gate.  I sat down by the window and waited for the flight
to board.  When my row number was called I headed towards the doorway.
The agent had some difficulty with the passenger directly in front of
me, who had a boarding pass issued by Continental.  While she figured
out what to do with that, the other agent took my boarding pass and
scanned it.

I boarded the aircraft and made my way to my seat.  Put my backpack in
the overhead bin and sat down.  This flight was also full, but I hadn't
heard any announcements being made asking for volunteers to give up
their seats.  Just a couple of minutes before departure a ramp agent
came aboard to let me know that the dog was on board as well.

We pushed back from the gate at 2234.  The safety video was shown while
we made our way to runway 8R for departure.  At 2245 we were airborne
and on our way to San Francisco.

Similar routine as the flight out.  A preview for the movie, Out of
Time, was shown, followed by flight attendants selling headsets.  I
wasn't overly interested in this movie either, instead preferring to
make an attempt at sleeping.  Flight attendants came through serving
drinks and snack mix.  There was no meal service at all.

I'm not sure how much I slept, but I did wake up a lot.  I think late in
the flight the flight attendants came through with some sort of drink
selection but I wasn't really aware of what was going on.

Eventually we began our descent into SFO.  According to the map display,
we crossed the coastline somewhere north of Santa Cruz.  As we made our
turn towards SFO, I could make out a dark spot that seemed to match the
shape of the San Jose Airport, which was not yet open at this early hour.

We touched down at 0455 on runway 28R at a relatively quiet SFO.  Four
minutes later we were parked at gate 46.  When I had the chance, I
gathered my things and made my way out of the aircraft, into the
terminal, and off to baggage claim.  When I got there I saw the dog next
to the baggage service office, so I put him on a SmarteCarte and waited
for the rest of my bags.  They came and I got them.

I still had a couple of hours before the Monterey/Salinas Air Bus would
pick me up at 0700, so I took the dog out to where he could come out of
the kennel and stretch his legs, and gave him some food and water.  A
few minutes after 0700 the bus came and I was on my way back to my
apartment.

--
David Mueller / MRY
dmueller7@xxxxxxxxx