From: chuangha [mailto:chuangha@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 9:49 PM
To: orders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [orders] Re: OT: even the 340 has lower deck and upper deck?

--- In orders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jim" <jiml1126@xxxx> wrote:

http://cms.lufthansa.com/LHeCMS/mediafiles/gif/7/0,4389,229317,00.gif

> Was looking at this Lufthansa's 346 seat map, and I realized that
> there's this "Lower deck" on board.
>
> When did Airbus decided to have this upper and lower deck on the
> A346?  I thought only Boeing's 772LR/773ER has this feature.

Boeing offers the overhead crew rest which is above the
passenger cabin.  Airbus has always offered the lower-deck
crew rest as an option on the A340.  Using the lower deck
for non-cargo usage is not new.  For example, Lockheed
offered lower-deck galleys on the L-1011.

With respect to the A340-600, it seems Airbus is pushing
for more non-cargo usage of the lower deck.  IMO, this is an
attempt to better match the B777-300ER seating capacity in
spite of Airbus' claim that the -600 has a tri-class seating
of 380 passengers.  Nevertheless, this is accomplished at the
expense of lost opportunity for additional cargo revenue.

> P.S.  The lower deck WC feature

IMO, LH's A340-600 economy-class configuration is pretty
awful, with one lavatory on the main deck and five on the
lower deck.  The one on the main deck would likely to have
longer line.  Depending on the width of the staircase,
accessing the lavatories downstairs at peak time could be
very crowded and inconvenient.

Andrew

Orders includes 750 members.
http://surf.to/orders