Re: Personal GPS on a commercial flight...will it work?

>From a Southwest page:
When indicated by Flight Attendant announcements, during the cruise phase of
flight these devices may be operated: DVD, CD, and tape players, personal
digital assistants (PDAs or hand-held computers), electronic calculators,
hand held electronic games, electronic cameras, Global Positioning Satellite
(GPS) receivers, and devices that compose e-mail or text messages without
transmitting or receiving.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Heron" <wheron@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2003 14:27
Subject: [AIRLINE] Personal GPS on a commercial flight...will it work?

I've been having a great time with the GPS device which attaches to my Palm
pilot, very helpful when driving in unfamilar areas.  My question is: would
it work in flight (in other words, would it be likely it could pick up
satellite signals from inside the passenger cabin) and is it a "permitted"
device?  Wouldn't it be great to know exactly what town you are passing over
on a long flight?

Best,
Bill Heron