Re: [Sky-1] RE: CO3021 - 05DEC XXJ?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alireza Alivandivafa" <DEmocrat2n@xxxxxxx>
To: <AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2003 23:18
Subject: Re: [AIRLINE] [Sky-1] RE: CO3021 - 05DEC XXJ?

> In a message dated 12/11/2003 10:51:24 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> dks28@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> << I figured as much.  But why not fly directly into Fort Drum instead of
SYR,
>  which is a CO Express station only? >>
>
> Because no one would probably know how to work a PAX airplane at all.
Many of the Air Force's specialties are directly equivalent to civilian
airline positions so the Air Force could have provided servicing for the
aircraft.

However, in all the discussions about not flying directly to Fort Drum
(GTB), several obvious and not-so-obvious points have been overlooked:
- Customs requires 24 hour notice for servicing GTB
- Runway may not be able to support the weight of a 777.
- Taxiways are not wide enough and/or cannot support the weight of a 777.
- DME information: there are no outer/middle/inner markers
- The air field is closed on weekends and holidays.  On weekdays, it's
opened from 0700 to 2200. I don't recall seeing a time that the aircraft was
scheduled to land but it could have been outside of the open hours.
- Pilots may not have been qualified to land at GTB
- No fuel available
David R
http://home.attbi.com/~damiross
http://home.attbi.com/~damiross/books.html