FW: IFR Instruction

Let me take a stab at this as I have been under the hood, but have
given a lot of instruction by putting people under the hood.

The hood itself doesn't limit the vision of the instructor. However,
instrument training has its side effects in terms of the impact it
has on the people who are teaching. I found myself in positions that
i had to draw a quick holding picture on my or on the student's knee
pad during this instruction.

Of course, at the time there was noone looking outside. Was this
unsafe? No; because the process takes 10 secs, and you look for the
traffic right before you do this.

Knowing the airspace helps a great deal. If you avoid given VFR
altitudes, and the altitudes that are related to some approach lines
that you will cross, does help. Getting a flight following by
ATC helps, but it is not 100% guaranteed. Even when you are in IFR
flight, "see and be seen" is the best way to prevent this thing from
happening. The ATC is not obbligated to tell you the traffic around
you if the work load is unbearable. (But they do it 99% of the time).

This accident, no matter how unfortunate it is, was the bi-product
of conducting a flight instruction and just flying also.
It happens, but it is a lot more safer than driving down on I-270
around Columbus, OH :)

BAHA
Fan of given flight instruction :)