Re: Deregulation & Anti-trust Laws

I remain unclear on how deregulation resulted in a suspension of antitrust
laws in the aviation sector.

When the DOJ and FTC examine a merger--any merger--they look at the impact
of the merger on competition in the market, not the impact on consumers.  To
the extent a merger makes a market more efficient, the merger should be (and
almost always is) approved.  In this country, we've gone through a painful
experience with the "big is bad" school of thought.  The capstone was the
Supreme Court's 1960s decision to block a grocery store merger in California
that would have increased market share of the combined company from 5% to
7.5%.  It is an undeniable fact that consumers benefit from a company that
can take advantage of economies of scale.

As economic analysis has come to play an increasingly important role in
antitrust enforcement, competition authorities have (thankfully) given up on
deciding on mergers based on gut feeling and shifted to making decisions
based on sound economic evidence.  At no time were any of the
post-deregulation aviation mergers exempted from antitrust review, just as
none of the oil and bank mergers you mentioned were somehow given a free
pass.  (The banking sector is, incidentally, an especially poor example of
an industry where consolidation might be a negative outcome.  Even today,
the US has many more banks, by several orders of magnitude, than any other
industrialized country.  There is persuasive evidence that this is actually
a bad thing for economic stability, and the Fed has argued repeatedly that
more consolidation is needed.)

To say that we should return to the days of government subsidies to support
inefficient airline operations (which you seem to be doing) is, in a word,
ludicrous.  Some communities cannot support 737 service and there is no
right, simply because your community has an airport, to point-to-point jet
service.  Airlines are not in the business of looking for ways to lose
money.  If a route can support more capacity, that capacity will be added
either by the existing carriers or by a new entrant.  If there is one
fundamental fact about our economic system, it is that if you are sitting on
a pile of money somebody is going to try to take it.  It is not the
government's job to dictate which carriers can fly to which cities and what
equipment they must use.  Similarly, there is no intellectually honest
justification for a government subsidy that keeps a 737 flying 3 times daily
to support an average of 18 passengers per trip.  Nobody benefits from that
outcome.