Re: Fifth-Freedom

In a message dated 12/10/2003 2:05:34 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
DEmocrat2n@xxxxxxx writes:

> So, if Fifth-Freedom rights are often so profitable, how come the US
> carriers (with the exception of a few routes in Asia with UA and NW) don't utilize
> them like the used to?  Would think it would work out quite well

Yes indeedy...until those upstart third world countries realized they could
provide the same service, pocket the dough and put their citizens to work in
high paying jobs.  Plus getting  arrogant Americans out of their lives helped
local politicians stay in office!  My beloved Braniff International had a slug
of Fifth Freedom authorities in Latin America.  When the routes were "leased"
to Eastern, those freedoms went away and you could no longer buy a ticket from
La Paz to Ascuncion on EA.  Talk about a niche market!

RT Simpson
Phoenix